This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7643 / 52°45'51"N
Longitude: -0.9539 / 0°57'13"W
OS Eastings: 470684
OS Northings: 319031
OS Grid: SK706190
Mapcode National: GBR BNS.RNB
Mapcode Global: WHFJZ.BS06
Entry Name: The Old Hall
Listing Date: 14 July 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1178375
English Heritage Legacy ID: 189977
Location: Asfordby, Melton, Leicestershire, LE14
Civil Parish: Asfordby
Built-Up Area: Asfordby
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Asfordby All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
ASFORDBY MAIN STREET
SK 71 NW The Old Hall
House, formerly manor house. c.1620, altered C18 and c.1875 by R W Johnson.
Red brick in Flemish bond with limestone dressings, Swithland slate roofs,
and stone ridge stacks. Double-depth plan. plan.
2 storeys and attic; 7-window range.
Central 6-panel door with overlight and moulded wood surround in late C19
porch between pair of off-set brick buttresses with limestone dressings.
12-pane sash windows to ground and 1st floors except for oculus to 1st floor
centre. The sash windows all have stone surrounds belonging to original
stone mullion and transom windows. Ironstone plinth with chamfered
limestone coping, moulded 1st and 2nd floor string courses. Above 2nd floor
string 3 stone-coped gables with kneelers each framing 3-light ovolo-
moulded stone mullion window with hood mould. Late C19 offset angle
buttresses. Side elevations have brick string course at 2nd floor level
with brick dentils below and curved timber brackets to projecting eaves.
Right side elevation has 2 windows to ground floor, that to left with
original 2-light ovolo-moulded stone mullion and transom, that to right with
C18 cross window.
Left side elevation has similar window to ground floor right and 3-light
casement window to ground floor left with stone lintel and pair of 2-light
ovolo-moulded stone mullion cellar windows to left of centre. Rear
elevation has central, chamfered stone doorway with 4-centred head in later
2-storey gabled porch and 2-light ovolo-moulded stone mullion and transom
windows to ground and 1st floors except for that to ground floor far right
and a number to 1st floor which have wood mullion and transom windows and 1
sash window to 1st floor right of centre. Rear elevation has limestone
Interior: Hall has re-set Jacobean timber archway to stair with Tuscan
pilasters, round-headed arch and bracketed qadrooned frieze. Sitting room
has Jacobean panelling and overmantel with blank round-headed arched panels.
Stone fireplace with 4-centred arched head and cut spandrels. Some cupboard
doors upstairs with Jacobean panels and butterfly hinges. Another stone
fireplace to upper room with chamfer and 4-centred head. Timber spiral back
stair with octagonal newel post.
Roof has principals with 2 tiers of collars.
Buildings of England, Leics, 1984, p.77.
Listing NGR: SK7068419031
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings