History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Rectory, Attached Archway and Rear Yard Walls with Outshuts

A Grade II Listed Building in Simonburn, Northumberland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.0568 / 55°3'24"N

Longitude: -2.2044 / 2°12'15"W

OS Eastings: 387042

OS Northings: 573608

OS Grid: NY870736

Mapcode National: GBR F91Z.K2

Mapcode Global: WHB1Y.35K7

Entry Name: The Rectory, Attached Archway and Rear Yard Walls with Outshuts

Listing Date: 20 October 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1178407

English Heritage Legacy ID: 240833

Location: Simonburn, Northumberland, NE48

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Simonburn

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: Simonburn

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Wark

Listing Text

SIMONBURN THE GREEN
NY 8773
(West side, off)
19/149 The Rectory,
20/10/52 attached archway
and rear yard walls
with outshuts
GV II

Former Rectory now private house; with archway and rear yard walls. Rear wing
with possibly re-set doorway dated 1666; 1725 front range built for Rev. Henry
Wastell; C19 additions and alterations. Ashlar sandstone front and rear wings;
squared rubble returns. Graduated green slate roofs and ashlar chimneys.
T-plan: front range with addition and archway on right return; of 2 builds at
right-angles on rear of front range; yard walls and outshuts on rear and side
of wing.

3-storey, 5-bay front has plinth and raised quoins. Segmental-headed windows
have surrounds and aprons with banded rustication. Central pair of 3-panel
doors and 3-pane overlight. 8-pane sashes with thick glazing bars on first
floor; replaced 12-pane sashes elsewhere. Steep hipped roof with swept eaves.
2 stacks rise from rear wall. C19 stone bay window on left return. Single-
storey, 2-bay addition with pitched roof and corniced stack and section of
flat-coped wall with elliptical archway on right return. Rear wing: 2-storey,
3-bay section has horse-mounting block, replaced sashes and a round-arched
stair window; lower 2-storey, 2-bay section incorporates a moulded Tudor-arched
doorway with Latin inscription to Rev. Major Allgood and date 1666. Flat-coped
yard walls with quadrant ramp on side of rear section. 3 linked single-storey
outshuts across rear.

Interior greatly altered in C19. Front range: 2, 4 and 6-panel doors in
architraves; 3-panel internal window shutters; several small chamfered stone
fireplaces on top floor. Open-well staircase, of 3 flights plus landing rail,
in rear wing has ramped handrail on stick balusters.


Listing NGR: NY8704273608

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.