This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0689 / 51°4'7"N
Longitude: -1.1897 / 1°11'22"W
OS Eastings: 456872
OS Northings: 130260
OS Grid: SU568302
Mapcode National: GBR 97C.S22
Mapcode Global: FRA 86D9.8BH
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 5 December 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1178485
English Heritage Legacy ID: 145528
Location: Tichborne, Winchester, Hampshire, SO24
Civil Parish: Tichborne
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Tichborne St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SU 53 SE TICHBORNE TICHBORNE
2/1 Church of St Andrew
Parish Church, mid C11 plan with surviving chancel, late C12 nave and aisles, C18
tower and porch. Rubble flint and stone, stone and brick dressings, brick tower,
old plain tile roof. On ground sloping down to E. C11 chancel has wide Saxo-
Norman flat buttresses to corners and in centres of walls. On side walls a round
headed double splay light. E window 6 1330 3-light with reticulated tracery and
hood. Nave and aisles taller and high on E nave gable pair of round headed
openings. E end of S aisle has C14 2-light window and N aisle has C14 3-light
with C20 rebuilt head. S aisle has 2 C18 2-light round headed windows with brick
dressings either side of porch and similar W window. Porch C18 gables, brick,
with rounded head to C20 doors. N aisle has small round headed doorway with
chamfer. Tower has tablet on S "1703 John Rowland, John Newell, churchwardens",
blue header brickwork with some stone quoins and hipped roof with weathervane.
N C18 round headed door and W C20 C18 style 2-light round headed window. Stepped
in upper stages with rebuilt C18 1 and 2-light rectangular bell openings and
crennelations. Inside chancel, medieval stained glass fragments, including St.
Andrew, in head of E window. East side stone corbel. Below S window C13 piscina.
Good C17 altar rails. C14 roof hidden by canted ceiling with moulded wallplate,
with at E tie across window. Plain pointed chancel arch. Nave has C13 2 bay S
arcade with plain pointed single order arches and octagonal piers. In face of E
respond is doorway to rood stair which is continued in thickness of wall. Steps
to C18 round headed door to tower with 1733 Royal Arms. Memorial slabs: 1643
to Roger Diggens, 1745 to Thomas King. Panelled pews C17, repaired. S aisle
has C14 pointed doorway with string and chamfer. C17 door. To W heavy C16 box
pew and C12 font, round body, octagonal top. C18 cover. N aisle chantry chapel
to Tichborne family, divided off by Elizabeth style railings. E window square
headed with nook shafts, C14 rebuilt, to side piscina with bowl. Brass on floor
1519 to Anne Tichborne. On N wall memorials: 1621 to Sir Benjamin Tichborne and
wife, 2 recumbent effigies with children below and canopy; 1619 to child Richard
Tichborne; 1845 by J E Carew to Sir Henry Tichborne and on W wall monument in
pointed recess 1835 to Henry Tichborne Doughty. 5 painted solid boards coats of
arms. Roof has chamfered wallplate and ties supported on arch braces on corbels and
'crossed serpentine braces and wind braces.' VCH; 1908; Vol 3; p 337-8.
'Buildings of England'; N Pevsner; Penguin; 1966; p 621-2.
Listing NGR: SU5687230258
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings