History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Crag House and Barn Attached

A Grade II Listed Building in Danby, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.4464 / 54°26'47"N

Longitude: -0.9426 / 0°56'33"W

OS Eastings: 468663

OS Northings: 506182

OS Grid: NZ686061

Mapcode National: GBR PKV0.QV

Mapcode Global: WHF8V.HHBN

Entry Name: Crag House and Barn Attached

Listing Date: 20 December 1990

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1178619

English Heritage Legacy ID: 327951

Location: Danby, Scarborough, North Yorkshire, YO21

County: North Yorkshire

District: Scarborough

Civil Parish: Danby

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Danby with Castleton and Commondale

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Castleton

Listing Text

NZ 60 NE DANBY DANBY DALE
West side

6/33 Crag House and
barn attached

GV II

Farmhouse and barn, probably originally a longhouse, of early C18,
greatly altered 1770 (dated on door lintel, for William and Mary
Hartas) and said to have been partly rebuilt in 1790 after a fire.
Coursed tooled sandstone; pantiled roof (installed 1790 and said to
be the first pantiled roof in the dale). Through-passage plan with
rear extensions forming reversed U-shape.

Two storeys and attic. 2 bays at right and 2 wider bays at left of
passage door with dated lintel. Wide 3-light windows at right have
lost mullions but retain roll-moulded keyed lintels, jambs with
impost and plinth blocks,and projecting cills. At left of door a
3-light chamfered stone-mullioned window and a small boarded loft
door above. Extreme left bay (one storey only) is a barn with
Tudor-arched doorway at right, steps up to boarded loft door at
left. Appearance suggests that house has been reversed; barn/byre
was originally at right of through-passage door and the bay on its
left was the house-place.

Stone ridge, copings and moulded kneelers. Corniced stacks at ends
of house part and on ridge.

Rear elevation shows 2-stage plinth and scattered small C20 casements.
Lower left domestic extension has remains of a 2-light chamfered
mullion window. Right barn extension now roofed in corrugated
asbestos.

Interior shows original door from cross-passage, fire beams in
rooms on both floors, the lower with a panelled spice cupboard,
and C18 moulded joists in several rooms.

R.C.H.M. op.cit. p.76 and passim


Listing NGR: NZ6866306182

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.