This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.045 / 51°2'41"N
Longitude: -1.4346 / 1°26'4"W
OS Eastings: 439731
OS Northings: 127444
OS Grid: SU397274
Mapcode National: GBR 74R.J3F
Mapcode Global: FRA 76WC.2XF
Entry Name: Church of St John
Listing Date: 27 November 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1178648
English Heritage Legacy ID: 145848
Location: Hursley, Winchester, Hampshire, SO51
Civil Parish: Hursley
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Farley Chamberlayne St John
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SU 32 NE HURSLEY FARLEY CHAMBERLAYNE
3/2 Church of St John
Church. C12 church with C14, C18 and C20 alterations. Flint with stone
dressings, rendered, old plain tile roof. Norman church of chancel and nave
c1130-60, C14 rebuilding to W, W bellcote and c1910 porch. Chancel has on
E C18 round-headed window with timber frame; 2 similar windows to N and one
to S. On N wall C16 small stone plaque. Nave N wall has similar C18 NE
window, signs of windows to W, central C16 stepped buttress and C18 NW corner
buttress. S nave wall has to E 2 C18 windows, to W C20 timber-frame and
plaster infill gabled porch. Inside it is Norman round-headed doorway with
chamfered abaci, hood mould on radially set grotesque head stops, and C16
studded planked door with strap hinges and old lock. To W tablet 1769 to
Richard Wooley and C14 stepped buttress repaired C18. C19 2-light hipped
dormer above porch. W end has S of centre C14 stepped buttress, in centre
C14 trefoiled window with hood mould, over small rectangular light, below
blocked W door. On roof square sectioned weatherboarded bellcote with
hipped roof, containing 3 bells: mediaeval inscribed 'In honore Tri', late
C15 by William Hasylwood inscribed 'Sancta Rafael ora pro nobis', and 1603.
Inside chancel all W down have slightly splayed rear arches. 2 C18 stone
steps to sanctuary which has C18 panelling. On E wall monuments: 1627 to
John St John & family, of inscription panel in frame with each side Corinthian
column, below panel of son and wife with infant, above crest; 1786 to Rev.
John St John. On S wall monument 1600 to William St John, large stone tomb
chest with 4 panels containing shields; effigy of knight resting under
canopy, in front 3 Ionic columns supporting full entablature surmounted by
crest. Floor slabs: 1699 to Sir Oliver St John; 1700 to Francisca St
John; 1780 to Sir Paulet St John. C17 altar rails with turned balustrades
and moulded hand rail. On chancel walls tablets: 1747 to Rev. Pretty;
1815 to Thrift Smith; 1817 to John Plumstead Reeve. Floor slabs: 1691
Elizabeth Smith; 1689 Oliver St John; 1722 Clifford St John; 1674 Rev.
Robert West. C15 2-bay barrel-vaulted roof with S braces on to stone corbels,
central ridge timber removed. In nave C18 reading desk and in NW early C18
pulpit and tester. Floor slab C17 to Thomas Childes. At W end tall panell-
ing separating off vestry. C15 king post 3 bays of 4 survive with W bay
removed for large timber post to support bellcote which also support roof.
On E posts 2 solid hatchments to St John family. In vestry remains of
stocks, wrought iron weather vane and cresset beacon. C18 commandments
board. C18 heavy baluster font. C19 gas lamp fittings still in use.
VCH; 1908; Vol 3; p445. Buildings of England, Hampshire; Pevsner; 1966;
Listing NGR: SU3864227116
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings