This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3215 / 52°19'17"N
Longitude: -2.8312 / 2°49'52"W
OS Eastings: 343442
OS Northings: 269589
OS Grid: SO434695
Mapcode National: GBR BF.VTXX
Mapcode Global: VH76S.WX37
Entry Name: The Old Farmhouse
Listing Date: 11 June 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1178662
English Heritage Legacy ID: 150218
Location: Leinthall Starkes, County of Herefordshire, SY8
County: County of Herefordshire
Civil Parish: Leinthall Starkes
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Wigmore Abbey
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
LEINTHALL STARKES CP LEINTHALL STARKES
SO 46 NW
6/39 The Old Farmhouse
Farmhouse, divided into two dwellings, now one house. Probable C16 origins,
extended early Cl7, part rebuilt and altered late C18, restored late C20.
Part timber-framed with painted brick and rendered infill on rubble base,
some painted rubble and brick replacement walling, part sandstone rubble
with brick dressings; slate roofs. Hall and cross-wing plan; original hall
part aligned north-east/south-west with large chimney at south-west end;
cross-wing of two framed bays added to north-east end with large external
rubble chimney on its south-west side. Hall rebuilt in late C18 and large
external cross-wing chimney also partly rebuilt and two diagonal brick
stacks added. (The plan was sub-divided laterally in the C19 when converted
into two dwellings). Two storeys, attic and cellar. Framing: cross-wing
has two rows of square panels per storey with diagonal struts (two per
panel) at first floor level combining to form diaper patterns at gable
ends and a staggered chevron design on the north-east side. Both upper
floors are slightly jettied at gable ends on moulded bressummers with run-
out chamfer stops (a detail repeated internally) and moulded corbels.
The north-west gable has a collar and tie-beam truss with two collars, eight
struts to lower collar and four ornamental cusped braces, four struts to
upper collar and concave cusped bracing in the apex. The south-east end
truss has been largely replaced. Windows are mainly C18 leaded casements.
North-west front: hall part has a 2-light ground floor window with a
cambered head, a gabled half-dormer with a 2-light window and a four-
panelled door. There is a C19 brick stack to the right side of the roof
pitch. The gable-end of the cross-wing has a 3-light and a 2-light ground
floor window, a 4-light first floor window and a C20 attic light. The
external chimney on the south-east elevation has the following inscription
incised on a chamfered corner section about four feet from the base: "John
Lychmore/June 10 1779". There is a C20 half-glazed lean-to addition adjoin-
ing the south-east elevation of the hall. Interior: main ceiling beams and
fireplace lintels in cross-wing have similar run-out stop chamfers to
bressummers. Flagstone floors and some old doors survive. (RCHM, Herefs,
Vol III, p 105; BoE, p 222).
Listing NGR: SO4344269589
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings