This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1892 / 53°11'20"N
Longitude: -0.9997 / 0°59'59"W
OS Eastings: 466932
OS Northings: 366251
OS Grid: SK669662
Mapcode National: GBR 9GD.02K
Mapcode Global: WHFH0.M34G
Entry Name: Wellow Hall and Adjoining Stable Range
Listing Date: 11 August 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1178727
English Heritage Legacy ID: 241945
Location: Wellow, Newark and Sherwood, Nottinghamshire, NG22
District: Newark and Sherwood
Civil Parish: Wellow
Built-Up Area: Wellow (Newark and Sherwood) B
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Wellow
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
WELLOW NEWARK ROAD
SK 66 NE
3/95 Wellow Hall and
Country house. 1700. Remodelled and extended mid C18 and early
C20. Now 2 properties. Brick, partly rendered and colourwashed.
Gabled and hipped slate roofs. Ashlar dressings. Chamfered
plinth, coped gables with kneelers. 4 ridge and single side wall
stacks. 2 storeys plus garrets, 5 bays. L-plan. Windows are
mainly glazing bar sashes and C2O casements. West front has to
left C19 wing with 2 projecting bays and 7 casements. Above, to
left, oriel window and to right, 4 casements. Above again, a
gabled and a flat roofed dormer. To right, 2 storey block, 2
bays, with cogged eaves and 2 sashes on each floor. North wall
has, above, datestone inscribed 'JGM 1700'. In return angle, C20
gabled porch. To right again, gable with C19 square bay window
and above, casement to garret. C18 south front has 5 glazing bar
sashes on each floor. C20 north front has off-centre door
flanked to left by 3 sashes and to right, 2 casements. Outside,
iron pump with domed cap. Above, 5 sashes on different levels.
Gable to right has, above again, a sash. C20 south front has 2
casements and above, 2 sashes. East front has to left, canted,
hipped 2 storey bay window with 3 sashes on each floor. To
right, French window with overlight, flanked by single sashes.
Beyond, to right, 4 sashes, 2 plain. Above, 6 sashes, 2 plain.
Above again, to left, casement to garret. C18 stable block, to
north, partly rebuilt c.1984. Central 2 storey carriage house
with single storey wings, 3 bays. Carriage house has to west
central pair of elliptical headed carriage doors with blocked
keystoned ashlar surround, flanked by keystoned oval blind
openings. Above, a Diolcetian window with projecting architrave.
Roofless wing to left has blind oval opening, flanked to left by
single doors with segmental and elliptical heads. Beyond to
right, Yorkshire sash with segmental head. Right wing has 2 C20
casements and to right, door. Pedimented south gable has single
casement. East side has 4 casements. Most casements have
segmental heads. Central hall and service room to north have
exposed span beams, one with shaped stops. Hall has partial C18
panelled dado. Morning room and drawing room, to south, have
lincrusta Adam style cornices, late C18, with mid C19 Classical
timber and black marble fireplaces. Kitchen, to west, has Adam
style cornice and notable early C18 Classical ashlar fireplace
with panelled eared architrave, stepped frieze and curved
brackets to cornice. Flanked by single early C19 panelled doors.
C18 framed newel stair with square newels (some renewed), moulded
handrail and vase and stem balusters. Re-sited fielded panelling
below. Single C18 2 panel and 6 panel doors. 6 C19 beaded
Listing NGR: SK6693266251
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings