History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Frobisher Court and Attached Wall

A Grade II Listed Building in Marchwood, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9005 / 50°54'1"N

Longitude: -1.4435 / 1°26'36"W

OS Eastings: 439227

OS Northings: 111369

OS Grid: SU392113

Mapcode National: GBR RK5.Y8

Mapcode Global: FRA 76VQ.KFW

Entry Name: Frobisher Court and Attached Wall

Listing Date: 21 May 1985

Last Amended: 18 June 2004

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1178787

English Heritage Legacy ID: 143441

Location: Marchwood, New Forest, Hampshire, SO40

County: Hampshire

District: New Forest

Civil Parish: Marchwood

Built-Up Area: Marchwood

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Marchwood St John

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
Redbridge

Listing Text

MARCHWOOD

1860/5/32 MAGAZINE LANE
21-MAY-85 Frobisher Court and attached wall

(Formerly listed as:
MAGAZINE LANE
Former Police Barracks at former Royal
Naval Armaments Depot)

GV II
Barracks flanked by officers' quarters, now houses. 1816, restored 1990-5 with new buildings in matching style added to rear. Walls of red brick on Portland stone plinth; rendered to left flank. Roof covering of grey slate laid to diminishing courses; brick chimneys. Two storeys with attic lit by roof dormers. Main block of 7 bays (original barracks, originally 4 rooms) flanked by returns of 3 bays (original officers' quarters) with roof hipped to front and stair string courses of first floor level. Main block entered by central doors (2 x 6 panel),
flanked by fluted pilasters and surmounted by fanlight all in recessed
panel. Sash windows (2 x 6 pane) under cambered gauged brick arches,
Portland stone cills. Two windows replaced by pair of smaller sashes under
segmental arches, and one blocked in C20. Flanking blocks entered from
side. Main roof has two chimneys and two ventilators, symmetrically
placed; returns have dormers facing inwards. The interior of the right
hand block retains its original stair with stick balusters and column
newels, also much internal joinery and some original fireplaces. A
contemporary boundary wall extends from the right (north) of the building in the
line of the front elevation. Wall has brick piers with stone caps inscribed ORDNANCE HOUSE, a reference to the demolished Storekeeper's House of 1815.
HISTORY: Marchwood was conceived in 1811 as a store depot like Tipner (Porstmouth). Potential canal communications from Southampton water were the Redbridge-Andover, Northampton-Winchester and Bursledon-Botley navigations. This was to be a 20,000 barrel magazine with two 10,000 barrel magazines the preferred disposition. In the event, and after deliberation resulting in the adoption of plans submitted in 1811 by Sir William Congreve (the Comptroller of the Royal Laboratory in Woolwich) over those by General Fisher (commanding officer of the Portsmouth Royal Engineers' Department), 3 magazines each with a 6,800 capacity were built, with a small internal L-shaped canal for moving barrels by barge and a centrally-placed Shifting House. The shortcomings revealed through the Crimean War brought about the decision to increase storage capability, and additional magazines were built at Marchwood, Tipner and Upnor. In July 1853, the CRE Portsmouth had been asked to prepare a report on the expense of making Marchwood serviceable again. The magazines were ordered in September to be made fit to receive powder from Dover, and in November the floor of No. 3 Magazine was ordered to be made good before the establishment was re-established as a Powder Station and Officers appointed. This, effectively the second foundation of Marchwood, was marked by a vast increase in its storage: four new magazines, three of 14,400 and one of 9,600 barrels capacity, were built in 1856-7. A Times article of 1864 noted that Marchwood was 'the largest magazine in the Kingdom', with a capacity of 76,000 barrels of powder. The establishment began to be wound down soon afterwards, there being 45 employees in 1898. B, E, F and G magazines were destroyed by the Luftwaffe in June 1940, and the Admiralty's use of the depot declined steeply after 1945: it was closed in 1961.

(Roger Bowdler, Former Board of Ordnance Gunpowder Magazines, Magazine Lane, Marchwood, Hampshire, Historical Analysis and Research Team, English Heritage, 1997)

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.