History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II Listed Building in Syerston, Nottinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0195 / 53°1'10"N

Longitude: -0.8885 / 0°53'18"W

OS Eastings: 474656

OS Northings: 347484

OS Grid: SK746474

Mapcode National: GBR BKS.Q64

Mapcode Global: WHFHV.BC4K

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 16 January 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1178850

English Heritage Legacy ID: 242036

Location: Syerston, Newark and Sherwood, Nottinghamshire, NG23

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Newark and Sherwood

Civil Parish: Syerston

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Find accommodation in
Elston

Listing Text

SYERSTON CHURCH LANE
SK 74 NW
(north side)
5/84
Church of
All Saints
16.1.67
II
Parish church. C13, C14, thoroughly restored 1896. Dressed
coursed rubble. Plain tile roofs. Coped gables with single
ridge finial to east gable. Tower, nave and chancel under single
roof and south porch. All but the tower buttressed and set on a
shallow plinth. C13 low single stage C19 embattled tower with
single lancet on the south side and single rectangular stair
light above. The 4 arched bell chamber openings each have 2
pointed arched lights, hood mould and remains of label stops.
North front has a single restored C14 window with 2 ogee arched
and cusped lights and tracery under a flat arch. To the left is
a moulded pointed arched blocked doorway with hood mould and
human head label stops, a single similar 2 light window and
further left a single arched window with 2 arched and cusped
lights. The east end has a single arched C19 3 light window with
cusped panel tracery and hood mould. The south wall has 2
restored C14 windows each with 2 ogee arched and cusped lights
and tracery under a flat arch. To the left is a C19 double
lancet and further left a single similar restored C14 2 light
window. The gabled and coped porch with single ridge cross has a
moulded arched entrance, over is a re-set stone inscribed
'W.H.C.V. 1724". There is an inner moulded pointed arched
doorway. To the left of the porch is a single similar restored
C14 2 light window. Interior. South chancel wall has an arched
and cusped piscina. Decorative pulpit dated 1636 with tester,
C14 octagonal ashlar font decorated with blind tracery. Credence
table dated 1629 is inscribed "This credence table is formed out
of old wood taken from the roof Sep 1890". Chair part
constructed with C16 bench end. Remaining furniture C19. There
is a George III hatchment.


Listing NGR: SK7465647484

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.