This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9015 / 50°54'5"N
Longitude: -1.4458 / 1°26'45"W
OS Eastings: 439063
OS Northings: 111479
OS Grid: SU390114
Mapcode National: GBR RJT.NY
Mapcode Global: FRA 76VQ.JJQ
Entry Name: Former Magazine and Associated Blast Walls at Former Royal Naval Armaments Depot, 200m Wnw of Entrance Lodge (Marchwood Yacht Club Offices)
Listing Date: 21 May 1985
Last Amended: 18 June 2004
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1178873
English Heritage Legacy ID: 143446
Location: Marchwood, New Forest, Hampshire, SO40
District: New Forest
Civil Parish: Marchwood
Built-Up Area: Marchwood
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Marchwood St John
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
1860/5/37 MAGAZINE LANE
21-MAY-85 Former magazine and associated blast w
alls at former Royal Naval Armaments D
epot, 200m WNW of Entrance Lodge (Marc
hwood Yacht Club offices)
(Formerly listed as:
Former magazine at former Royal Naval
Armaments Depot, 200m WNW of Entrance
Magazine, now derelict. 1856-7. Red brick walls, roofs of grey slate
laid to diminishing courses; cambered gauged brick arches to openings.
Rectangular plan, divided into 4 bays by timber posts supporting valleys of
pitched roofs, hipped at ends, over each bay. Doors in long sides, four
sash windows with Portland stone sills to end walls. Interior: softwood trusses; partial survival of barrel racks, a very rare example. Surrounded by mid-late C19 brick blast walls.
HISTORY: Marchwood was conceived in 1811 as a store depot like Tipner (Porstmouth). Potential canal communications from Southampton water were the Redbridge-Andover, Northampton-Winchester and Bursledon-Botley navigations. This was to be a 20,000 barrel magazine with two 10,000 barrel magazines the preferred disposition. In the event, and after deliberation resulting the adoption of submitted in 1811 by Sir William Congreve over those by General Fisher (commanding officer of the Portsmouth Royal Engineers' Department), 3 magazines each with a 6,800 capacity were built, with a small internal L-shaped channel for moving barrels by barge and a centrally-placed Shifting House. The shortcomings revealed through the Crimean War brought about the decision to increase storage capability, and additional magazines were built at Marchwood, Tipner and Upnor. In July 1853, the CRE Portsmouth had been asked to prepare a report on the expense of making Marchwood serviceable again. The magazines were ordered in September to be made fit to receive powder from Dover, and in November the floor of No. 3 Magazine was ordered to be made good before the establishment was re-established as a Powder Station and Officers appointed. This, effectively the second foundation of Marchwood, was marked by a vast increase in its storage, four new magazines, three of 14,400 and one of 9,600 barrels capacity being built in 1856-7. A Times article of 1864 noted that Marchwood was 'the largest magazine in the Kingdom', with a capacity of 76,000 barrels of powder. The establishment began to be wound down soon afterwards, there being 45 employees in 1898. B, E, F and G magazines were destroyed by the Luftwaffe in June 1940, and the Admiralty's use of the depot declined steeply after 1945: it was closed in 1961.
(Roger Bowdler, Former Board of Ordnance Gunpowder Magazines, Magazine Lane, Marchwood, Hampshire, Historical Analysis and Research Team, English Heritage, 1997)
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings