History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Winthorpe Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Winthorpe, Nottinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1002 / 53°6'0"N

Longitude: -0.7884 / 0°47'18"W

OS Eastings: 481218

OS Northings: 356578

OS Grid: SK812565

Mapcode National: GBR CL8.RGK

Mapcode Global: WHFHH.VBRM

Entry Name: Winthorpe Hall

Listing Date: 16 January 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1178886

English Heritage Legacy ID: 242699

Location: Winthorpe, Newark and Sherwood, Nottinghamshire, NG24

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Newark and Sherwood

Civil Parish: Winthorpe

Built-Up Area: Winthorpe

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Winthorpe

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
Holme

Listing Text

SK 85 NW WINTHORPE GAINSBDROUGH ROAD (west side)

1/65 Winthorpe Hall
16-1-67
G.V. II*

Country house, c.1760. Begun for Dr. Robert Taylor of Newark, completed
for Roger Pocklington, the Newark banker. Probably to designs by John Carr
of York. With a C19 addition to the east. Ashlar and brick with a hipped
slate roof with lead flashing. 3 ashlar stacks, modillion cornice. Set
on a plinth with thick plain band topping basement. 2½ storeys, 5 bays.
The centre pedimented bay is slightly wider and projects slightly. The south'
front has a basement of rusticated ashlar with a central blocked doorway flanked
by single blocked windows, all with keystones. Each of the outer bays has a
single glazing bar sash with splayed lintel and keystone. There is a central
free standing rusticated perron on a plinth with central arch, giving access
to the now blocked doorway. The perron, with iron railings leads to the central
venetian doorway of the main floor. There is a double half glazed door with
traceried fanlight under a moulded arch flanked by single pilasters, single
glazing bar sashes with ballustrade under and further single pilasters. The
pilasters support moulded architraves, with the arch springing from their inner
edges. Each of the outer bays has a single glazing bar sash with lintel and
keystone flush with the wall. The outer bays of the top floor have similar,
smaller sashes. The central bay has a single venetian window, with lintels
and keystones flush with the wall. In the centre is an oeil de boeuf with glazing
bars. The C19 2 storey, 2 bay extension to the east has an ashlar basement
and is brick above. The roof, with gable ashlar stack dated 1886, is hidden
by a parapet with moulded cornice. There are 2 glazing bar sashes to each
floor, those to the basement are smaller. The west facade has a 3 storey
canted bay, with main floor sill band. The basement has 3 arched glazing bar
sashes with lintels and projecting keystones. The main floor has 2 glazing
bar sashes with lintels and keystones and a central arched and traceried glazing
bar sash. The top floor has 3 glazing bar sashes with lintels and keystones
flush with the wall. The north facade has a central canted bay corresponding
to that of the west apart from the basement windows which are square headed.
There are 2 bays either side, each floor having a glazing bar sash, apart from
the basement which has an off-centre east doorway. The east facade has a
Venetian window lighting the interior staircase. Variaus features such as
urns and dormers were removed during recent restoration. Interior; 3 flight
return, early C18 style, main staircase with 3 plain ballusters with knops per
tread, with decorated' carved tread ends. Entrance hall with dcric columned
fireplace, ionic screen and modillion cornice. Saloon with late ciB decorated
plaster ceiling, stone fireplace with ionic columns supporting a broken pediment
containing a shell disgorging fruit. All ground floor door cases are moulded,
mostly with pediments and panelled mahogany doors. The back stone staircase
runs from basement to attic and has an iron ballustrade.


Listing NGR: SK8121856578

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.