This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.0428 / 53°2'34"N
Longitude: -0.8576 / 0°51'27"W
OS Eastings: 476685
OS Northings: 350113
OS Grid: SK766501
Mapcode National: GBR BKN.607
Mapcode Global: WHFHN.SSS5
Entry Name: Church of St Lawrence
Listing Date: 13 March 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1178941
English Heritage Legacy ID: 242045
Location: Thorpe, Newark and Sherwood, Nottinghamshire, NG23
District: Newark and Sherwood
Civil Parish: Thorpe
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Farndon with Thorpe
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
THORPE MAIN STREET
SK 75 SE
3/93 Church of
Parish church. C13, restored and rebuilt c.1873. Dressed
coursed rubble. Slate roofs. Single decorative iron ridge
cross to east end. Tower, nave and chancel under single roof and
south porch. Buttressed and set on a chamfered plinth.
Restored C13 diagonally buttressed tower of 2 stages with band,
parapet and C19 pyramidal roof. The west wall with single
lancet. The bell chamber has in the west and south sides single
arched openings, with moulded surrounds, the south under a flat
arch. In the north side is a single rectangular opening. The
north nave has 2 C19 arched 2 light windows with cusped tracery,
hood moulds and label stops. The east end has a single arched 3
light C19 window with cusped panel tracery, hood mould and label
stops. The south buttress here is inscribed W.W.B.T. 1869.
The south chancel has a single C19 2 light window with cusped
tracery under a flat arch. To the left is a Caernarvon arched
doorway with plank door and further left a single arched C19 2
light window with cusped tracery, hood mould and label stops.
The gabled and coped porch has a chamfered arched entrance with
hood mould and label stops. Inner chamfered arched doorway with
hood mould and label stops. Interior. Low domestic chamfered
archway to tower. South chancel has an ogee arched piscina. In
the nave is the remains of a pedestal piscina. Restored C14
font, the C17 cover has 8 slender, open ribs rising from the base
to form ogee arches and is topped with a single acorn knob. In
the tower is a C17 oak chest with iron fittings. Remaining
furniture is C19. Monuments, in the south chancel is a damaged
late C14 reclining effigy of the wife of Sir William de Thorpe.
On the south chancel wall are 2 metal plaques, to Charles
Townsend, 1865 and to Elizabeth Brady, 1709.
Listing NGR: SK7668550113
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings