This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1917 / 51°11'30"N
Longitude: -0.9109 / 0°54'39"W
OS Eastings: 476202
OS Northings: 144176
OS Grid: SU762441
Mapcode National: GBR C90.BHH
Mapcode Global: VHDY6.599R
Entry Name: Silvester's Farmhouse
Listing Date: 31 July 1963
Last Amended: 31 May 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1178980
English Heritage Legacy ID: 141952
Location: Froyle, East Hampshire, Hampshire, GU34
District: East Hampshire
Civil Parish: Froyle
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Froyle The Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SU 74 SE FROYLE LOWER FROYLE
5/20 Silvester's Farmhouse.
31/07/63 (Formerly listed as Silvester's
GV II* Farm House)
House. C15, late C16, late C17 some C20 restoration. Mainly chalkstone walls, and a
tiled roof. A late-medieval timber-framed aisled hall; with attached stack,
inserted upper floor, and extension of Elizabethan date, with extensions and
re-cladding of 1674, with C20 restoration and minor changes. 2 storeys and
attic. The north (front) elevation has on the east side the refronted section
(of 2 windows) with gablets above the windows, coursed stonework with brick
dressings (hoodmoulds, quoins, plinth); the west side (late C16) projects
forward as a gable, tile-hung (with scalloped bands) to the upper part and with
exposed framing (bricknogged) to the ground floor. Casements. Plain doorway.
The east and south elevations are of chalkstone (and some ironstone), with
brick dressings; hoodmoulds, quoins, plinth, and stone mullions (some original)
casements and a boarded door; the upper wall having a stone plaque with raised
figures 1674. The west elevation is tile-hung at the north side, above exposed
framing, the roof being brought to a low eaves at the south side above a forward
outshot. Inside, a ground floor room has massive ceiling beams and a Tudor fire-
place of the late C16; most of the framing is exposed in the interior (including
part of the original roof,now beneath a cross-roof in the attic). The upper
part of an old staircase survives, but the present dog-leg stairway is late C17,
of oak with balusters. Several doors are made-up of oak boards.
Listing NGR: SU7617744170
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings