History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Haw House

A Grade II Listed Building in Burton-cum-Walden, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.243 / 54°14'34"N

Longitude: -1.9911 / 1°59'27"W

OS Eastings: 400678

OS Northings: 483028

OS Grid: SE006830

Mapcode National: GBR GMJC.QS

Mapcode Global: WHB5X.DM34

Entry Name: Haw House

Listing Date: 6 April 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1179057

English Heritage Legacy ID: 322514

Location: Burton-cum-Walden, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL8

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire

Civil Parish: Burton-cum-Walden

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
Aysgarth

Listing Text

BURTON-CUM-WALDEN WALDEN WEST
SE 08 SW
6/32 Haw House
- II

Farmhouse, now house. Dated 1811, incorporating C16 or C17 details. 1811
work for J & E Hobson. Rubble with some ashlar dressings, stone slate roof.
2 storeys. North-east front: 3 bays. Quoins. Central board door with
glazed panel, in ashlar quoined surround with ovolo moulding to arris,
triangular soffit to lintel and shield-shaped stops with circular discs from
former hoodmould. Above doorway, sandstone plaque inscribed "J & E HOBSON
1811". Sash window above door, other windows 4-pane sashes. Windows have
hoodmould stops, and except for that on first floor in first bay have
moulded lintels. Ashlar copings. End stacks. Rear, possibly incorporating
original front wall of earlier building: between first and second bay, part-
glazed door in ashlar surround with ovolo moulding on arris. To its right,
round-arched landing window with C20 glazing. In first and third bays,
surrounds of double-chamfered 2-light mullion windows. Interior: ground-
floor room to left has board door in architrave with egg-and-dart motif,
also round-headed niche. Kitchen to rear right has square chamfered beam
and old joists, possibly of C16-C17 date. Stone staircase with stick
balusters.


Listing NGR: SE0067883028

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.