History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Farringdon, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1139 / 51°6'49"N

Longitude: -0.9837 / 0°59'1"W

OS Eastings: 471237

OS Northings: 135444

OS Grid: SU712354

Mapcode National: GBR B8K.43V

Mapcode Global: VHDYJ.W8TG

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 31 July 1963

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1179147

English Heritage Legacy ID: 142322

Location: Farringdon, East Hampshire, Hampshire, GU34

County: Hampshire

District: East Hampshire

Civil Parish: Farringdon

Built-Up Area: Upper Farringdon

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Farringdon All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
Chawton

Listing Text



SU 73 NW FARRINGDON CHURCH ROAD

2/43 Church of All Saints
31.7.63
GV II*

Parish church. C12, C13, c.1400, restored and enlarged 1858, by Woodyer. Stone
and rendered walls, with a tile roof. Nave of 3 bays with a north aisle, chancel
and large north vestry, west tower and south porch. Plain roof, taller to
the chancel, separate to the vestry, and brought to a very low eaves over the
windowless north aisle. The nave walls are cement-rendered, and there is a 3-
light Perpendicular window on each side of the porch: the chancel and vestry
have polygonal masonry, with stepped buttresses, varied Gothic windows (the
east window having curvilinear tracery), band, plinth. The lower part of the
tower is C13, with 3 lancets, the upper C14, with small quatrefoil bell-stage
openings, the walls being rendered, and the roof a shingled broach spire. The
south porch of 1634 is of brickwork in Flemish bond with blue headers, with small
oval side lights, and a front with a 2-centred pointed arch within a projecting
frame, topped by a brick band and a moulded pediment. Inside, the arcade (of
later plain round arches) rests on circular piers, the western bay with scalloped
caps, the eastern bays moulded, and there is a small Norman north door (blocked).
The ceiling is flat between tie beams, but at the east end is arched with moulded
wall-plates. The chancel is Victorian Early English. There is a classical wall
monument (of 1770) in the nave, a panelled C18 pulpit, a bowl font meting on 4
C13 capitals, other fittings being Victorian. Gilbert White (of nearby Selborne)
was a curate 1761-85.


Listing NGR: SU7132335379

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.