This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.4056 / 54°24'20"N
Longitude: -2.1664 / 2°9'58"W
OS Eastings: 389298
OS Northings: 501139
OS Grid: NY892011
Mapcode National: GBR FK9H.SH
Mapcode Global: WHB51.PJLG
Entry Name: United Reform Church and Former Manse, with Railings
Listing Date: 5 September 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1179198
English Heritage Legacy ID: 322228
Location: Muker, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL11
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Muker
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
NY 80 SE MUKER KELD
7/143 United Reform Church and
former Manse, with
Chapel, former manse and railings. Dated 1860. Rubble with ashlar
dressings, stone slate roof, wrought-iron railings. Single-storey chapel,
with 2-storey manse to left, and 2-storey porch to chapel in centre.
Rusticated quoins overall, and to porch. Chapel: 2 round-arched sash
windows with glazing bars in ashlar surrounds with small keystones. Ashlar
copings. End stack to left. Porch: hammer-dressed ashlar dressings with
smooth margins. Round-arched doorway with quoined and voussoired surround
with roll-moulding to arris, board door. Bench-mark to left. Above,
sundial dated 1840 in square surround. To first floor, a round-arched
opening in ashlar surround with small keystone containing 2-pane window and
panel inscribed "KELD CHAPEL REBUILT 1860". Coped gable and on apex, round-
arched bellcote. Single-storey reading-desk projection on right return.
Interior of chapel: panelled west gallery on 2 cast-iron columns.
Semicircular arch between chapel and reading-desk recess. Carved minister's
seat, and decorative cast-iron front to dais. Original pews. Memorial wall
slabs to Mr Edmund Alderson Knowles of Low Row, d.1835, who gave a field on
Kisdon, called Broken Intake, as an endowment for the ministers of the
chapel; and Rev Edward Stillman, d.1837, minister of the chapel. Manse:
coursed rubble. 2 first-floor windows. To right, board door in round-
arched ashlar surround with small keystone. Sash windows in ashlar
surrounds. Shaped kneeler and ashlar coping to left. Stacks to left end
and centre. In front of whole building, low rubble wall with saddleback
ashlar coping supporting short railings with spear finials. Gate to manse
between monolithic ashlar gate-piers with pointed caps. Gates to chapel
porch between larger monolithic ashlar gate-piers with pyramidal caps.
Replaced the Independent Chapel built 1789. VCH i, p.238.
Listing NGR: NY8929801139
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings