History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Froyle House

A Grade II Listed Building in Froyle, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1787 / 51°10'43"N

Longitude: -0.9235 / 0°55'24"W

OS Eastings: 475345

OS Northings: 142718

OS Grid: SU753427

Mapcode National: GBR C96.1C4

Mapcode Global: VHDY5.YM5R

Entry Name: Froyle House

Listing Date: 31 July 1963

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1179221

English Heritage Legacy ID: 141988

Location: Froyle, East Hampshire, Hampshire, GU34

County: Hampshire

District: East Hampshire

Civil Parish: Froyle

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Froyle The Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
Lower Froyle

Listing Text

SU 74 SE FROYLE UPPER FROYLE

5/60 Froyle House

31/07/63 II

Large house and service wing, the house used as offices, and the wing as flats.
Built for Thomas Burmindham 1820. Stucco, with a low pitched hipped slate roof.
3-storeyed almost square, block,of a severely classical form with symmetrical
elevations. Front (south-east) of 1.3.1. windows, the features have only slight
projection; projecting centrepiece, thin coping to a shallow parapet, plain band,
2nd floor moulded band, continuing as a cornice in the centrepiece, above a plain
frieze and 4 short pilasters with moulded caps, and plain base (continuing as a
plinth to the 1st floor level), 1st floor moulded cill band, which continues in
the centrepiece as the cornice to a dentilled entablature, above 4 pilasters
with moulded caps and bases, plain plinth; the ground floor openings extend to
plinth level, the side windows having above them a cornice on brackets. Casements.
Plain doorway, with double doors of 3 panels. The south west elevation has 4
windows, although the centre has been altered by the later insertion of a splayed
bay with a slate roof; the other ground-floor windows are of lesser height (than
those of the front) the space above containing plain panels. The north-east
elevation is similar not as wide but still of 4 windows (some now filled as panels
but the others with sashes); set back at the north side in an angled unit,
containing a tall round-headed staircase window. The rear (north-west) elevation
is divided, but the return face from the south west corner has 2 wider windows,
and there is a large French window (of 3 lights) below a cambered opening; at the
east side is a loggia linked to the service wing. The service wing is an L-shaped
block extending from the north corner; it has 2 storeys and irregular fenestration.
Hipped slate roof, painted brick walls, sash windows, and an entrance at the
junction with the main block. Inside the main block, the plain staircase is
original, and also doorways and some plain marble fireplaces; the hall has a
marble floor.


Listing NGR: SU7534442723

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.