History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Fox Cottage, School House and Fern Cottage littlecote school Cottages

A Grade II Listed Building in Farringdon, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1102 / 51°6'36"N

Longitude: -0.9806 / 0°58'50"W

OS Eastings: 471461

OS Northings: 135040

OS Grid: SU714350

Mapcode National: GBR B8K.BX5

Mapcode Global: VHDYJ.YCG8

Entry Name: Fox Cottage, School House and Fern Cottage littlecote school Cottages

Listing Date: 11 October 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1179329

English Heritage Legacy ID: 142349

Location: Farringdon, East Hampshire, Hampshire, GU34

County: Hampshire

District: East Hampshire

Civil Parish: Farringdon

Built-Up Area: Upper Farringdon

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Farringdon All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
Alton

Listing Text


SU 73 NW FARRINGDON UPPER FARRINGDON

2/62 Fox Cottage, Littlecote (No 2,
School Cottages) School House and
Fern Cottage

GV II

A row of 4 different cottages. C17, C18 and C20. At the east end Fern Cottage
is a small 2-storeyed house of the C18, with a plain tiled roof, brick walls of
Flemish bond with cambered ground-floor openings, one upper and 2 lower casements,
and a boarded door in a plain frame. At the west end the largest and oldest unit
is 1 storey and attic, 2 above 3 windows with a west end outshot; thatched roof
with one eyebrow dormer, the lower part of the east side being tiled, with a gabled
dormer. The walls have exposed massive timber framing, with plaster and brick
(herringbone) infill, the east now mostly painted brickwork. Casements, and plain
doors, the east side with a tiled canopy showing that this end of the former
cottage has been made into a separate dwelling Littlecote). The middle building
(old School House) was a hall school (1844 to 1925), but now has an upper floor
with 3 dormers;the top part of the roof is thatched, with a central bellcote, the
lower is tiled, with 3 flat-roofed dormers, the walls being C20 brickwork.
Casements, and a doorway within a porch.


Listing NGR: SU7116735186

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.