This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2687 / 52°16'7"N
Longitude: -2.5492 / 2°32'57"W
OS Eastings: 362619
OS Northings: 263538
OS Grid: SO626635
Mapcode National: GBR BS.ZC39
Mapcode Global: VH84S.R7QM
Entry Name: Kyre Park
Listing Date: 18 April 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1179391
English Heritage Legacy ID: 150709
Location: Kyre, Malvern Hills, Worcestershire, WR15
District: Malvern Hills
Civil Parish: Kyre
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Teme Valley South
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
1424/6/22 KYRE PARK
18-APR-66 KYRE PARK
KYRE CP KYRE PARK
SO 66 SW
Country house in landscaped park, now care home. Fourteenth-century origins;
repaired and extended circa 1600 for Sir Edward Pytts by John Chaune of
Bromsgrove; remodelled for Sir Edmund Pytts by W and D Hiorne, 1753-6;
restored and extended c1880 with further major alterations circa 1940.
Some original sandstone rubble walling survives. Mainly brick, rendered
to south-west, with ashlar plinth and dressings. Slate roofs, partly hipped
behind plain parapets with ball finials (these survive only at eastern
corners) and brick stacks with moulded ashlar caps. Roughly T-shaped plan.
Original part lies to west and was probably a fortified house. Circa 1600
a hall was added to the north-east. In the mid-eighteenth century a new south front was added and the west range was remodelled. The building was extended to the east in the late nineteenth century and in the twentieth century the sixteenth-century hall was demolished, a new north front built and further alterations made to the south and east fronts. Two storeys and attic with ashlar plinth and modillion cornice at attic storey level. West elevation: 1:3:1 bays; the central bays break forward slightly and are pedimented. The ground floor windows have moulded ashlar architraves and keyblocks. The outer bays have 15-pane sashes, first floor 12-pane sashes and 6-pane attic windows. The central part has large ground floor 15-pane sashes that reach to plinth level, first floor 12-pane sashes and 2-light attic casements. The main entrance is situated at the centre of the north elevation and has a large re-sited Georgian style portico of probably late nineteenth-century date. Interior: very little survives of the eighteenth century interiors apart from the principal staircase. This is built of softwood and has a large open well, slender turned balusters, a moulded wreathed handrail, panelled dado and Chinese Chippendale style fretwork detailing. Part of the late sixteenth century stair-case has been re-used at attic storey level and has large square newel posts with shaped finials, moulded handrails and shaped, pierced splat balusters.
Kyre park was the seat of the Pytts family from 1576 to the early twentieth century.
(Country Life, xvii and xxiv, 1917; The Antiquary, xxi, p 202, 261, xxii,
24, 50; Colvin, H: A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840,
1978; VCH, IV, p 274-81; BoE, p 210).
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings