History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Wilfrid

A Grade I Listed Building in South Muskham, Nottinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1072 / 53°6'25"N

Longitude: -0.8156 / 0°48'56"W

OS Eastings: 479386

OS Northings: 357319

OS Grid: SK793573

Mapcode National: GBR CL7.BLP

Mapcode Global: WHFHH.F5V9

Entry Name: Church of St Wilfrid

Listing Date: 11 August 1961

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1179422

English Heritage Legacy ID: 242808

Location: South Muskham, Newark and Sherwood, Nottinghamshire, NG23

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Newark and Sherwood

Civil Parish: South Muskham

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: South Muskham

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
Holme

Listing Text

SK 75 NE SOUTH MUSKHAM CHURCH LANE
(east side)

7/104 Church of
St. Wilfrid
11-8-61
G.V. I

Parish church. C13, C14, C15, C16. Restored C19. Dressed
stone, coursed and coursed squared rubble. Ashlar dressings.
Welsh slate roofs. West tower, nave, north and south aisles,
chancel, south porch. West tower, 4 stages, C13 and C15. Deep
moulded plinth, 3 string courses, coved eaves band with 4
gargoyles and spouts to north and south, all restored.
Crenellated parapet with 4 truncated pinnacles. Weathercock. 2
corner buttresses to west, becoming pilasters above second stage,
6 setoffs. 2 plain buttresses to east, 6 setoffs, engaged with
aisles. First stage has to south a C14 trefoil headed lancet and
to west, chamfered C13 lancet. Second stage has to south and
west a C14 double lancet with cusped head, chamfered mullions,
chamfered and rebated reveal, and hood mould. Third stage has to
west, clock. Fourth stage has 4 C15 double lancet bell openings
with cusped heads and billeted transoms, set in double lancet
openings with chamfered reveals, coved ogee hood moulds with
finials and mask stops. To west, figure in hood mould spandrel.
Nave, 3 bays, has coped east gable. North aisle, 3 bays, has
chamfered plinth and 2 coped gables. To west, restored C12 round
headed doorway with chamfered hood mould. To east, C19 square
headed window with chamfered reveal and hood mould. To east
again, large C13 style plain lancet with coved reveal and hood
mould. South aisle, 3 bays, has moulded plinth and boarded roof
with 2 coped gables. To east, a diagonal buttress, 2 setoffs.
East end has C15 triple lancet, restored, with chamfered
mullions, chamfered and rebated reveal with square head and hood
mould. South side has to east, 2 C15 triple lancets with cusped
heads and chamfered mullions, in chamfered and rebated reveals,
with four centred arched heads and coved hood moulds, that to
west has partly restored tracery. West end has a C15 double
lancet with chamfered mullions, chamfered and rebated reveal with
square head and coved hood mould. Chancel, 2 bays, 2 builds, has
chamfered eaves band and coped east gable with cross. North and
south sides have a single central buttress, C19 and C16
respectively. East end has 2 C19 corner buttresses, 2 setoffs.
North side has 3 C13 single lancets. East end has large C15 5
light lancet with cusped heads, panel tracery, chamfered
mullions, coved and chamfered head and coved hood mould. South
side has string course and off-centre priest's door with
chamfered four centred arched head. Above, 3 C13 chamfered plain
lancets. To west, C15 double lancet with coved mullions, coved
square headed reveal and coved hood mould. South porch, C19 in
C15 style. Moulded plinth, chamfered eaves, 2 diagonal
buttresses to south, 2 setoffs. South doorway has moulded and
chamfered round head, responds with moulded capitals and chamfered
bases, and hood mould. Above, corbelled niche with hood mould,
and above again, coped gable with cross. Interior has wooden
benches, remains of stonebenches, and principal rafter roof with
collars. Inner doorway, C15, has coved and rebated four centred
arched head and reveal, plus hood mould. Above, remains of former
gable. South door, C15, weatherstripped, moulded and studded,
with sanctuary ring. Nave has north and south arcades, C14, 3
bays, with octagonal piers, moulded capitals and bases. Double
chamfered and rebated arches and hood moulds. C19 principal
rafter roof with arch braces, and collars carrying strutted
kingposts. To west, C13 chamfered doorway to tower chamber.
North aisle, C14, has plain C19 lean-to roof. South aisle, C14,
widened C16, has east window with stained glass, 1859. Western
window on south side has fragments of C15 stained glass,
including Arms. West end window has stained glass, C19.
Restored C15 roof with 4 moulded arched tie beams and moulded
purlins. Chancel arch, late C13, double chamfered and rebated
with hood mould, octagonal responds and moulded capitals.
Restored moulded bases. Chancel, 2 builds, has keeled sill band
and single round responds at junction of bays. Chamfered eaves
at east end. Eastern windows to north and south have shouldered
pointed heads and single flanking shafts with moulded capitals
and bases. East window has single flanking shaft to south with
moulded capital and base; similar capital and base to north.
Stained glass with Arms. East end has to south, C16 piscina with
segmental head. C19 principal rafter roof with curved braces on
corbels, collars with king posts, and herringbone matchboarding.
Fittings include re-cut C13 font bowl, octagonal, with Romanesque
arcading, on moulded octagonal C19 base and stem. Pierced
panelled octagonal pulpit, C19, on moulded octagonal base. C20
wooden lectern with tapered square stem. C18 communion table
with turned legs and moulded stretchers. Panelled and chamfered
C19 benches. 3 C19 stalls with re-used C14 fleur de lys finials
and ends carved with birds and beasts. C19 cast iron and wood
book stand and altar rail. Matchboard organ case with stencil
decoration, c.1870. Monuments include Classical style marble
tablet with eared and shouldered moulded panel with segmental
head, apron with Arms, and urn finial. To John and Ann Welby,
1779-80. Classical Egyptian style marble and slate tablet with
sarcophagus-shaped panel with lions' feet and cornice, carrying
truncated obelisk with draped urn and Arms. Signed "Wallis and
Marshall, Newark'. To Elizabeth Beevor, 1819. Larger Classical
Egyptian style marble and slate tablet with sarcophagus-shaped
tabolet, cornice, flanking floral panels and acroteria. Above,
truncated obelisk with draped urn, seated female figure and
cross. To Henry Huggins, 1824. Marble and slate Egyptian style
tablet with Arms, to John Beevor. 1833. Marble tablet with
brass insert, 1887. Single brass C19. 2 brasses C20.


Listing NGR: SK7938557319

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.