This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2552 / 52°15'18"N
Longitude: -2.2624 / 2°15'44"W
OS Eastings: 382181
OS Northings: 261922
OS Grid: SO821619
Mapcode National: GBR 0CZ.QS4
Mapcode Global: VH92D.QLS1
Entry Name: The Old Rectory
Listing Date: 29 July 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1179493
English Heritage Legacy ID: 151766
Location: Holt, Malvern Hills, Worcestershire, WR6
District: Malvern Hills
Civil Parish: Holt
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Holt
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
SO 86 SW HOLT CP off A 443 (west side)
2/96 The Old Rectory
House, used as rectory, now divided into 2 houses. C16, rebuilt in C17,
extended and altered in mid-C18 and mid-C19. Brick, tiled roofs, gable end
parapets, large external coursed sandstone rubble chimney to west elevation
with rebuilt brick stack, additional brick chimneys to sides and ridge of
front range and to rear. Two storeys partly with dentilled eaves cornice.
U-shaped plan, the eastern arm now forming the front elevation. Sandstone
chimney is oldest part, probably at gable end of earlier timber-framed
building on east-west axis. During C17 a 3 storey brick block of 2 parallel
ranges replaced this structure and in 1739 this was reduced to 2 storeys and
an additional block added to its east elevation. c1800 a further block was
added to the east and a gardener's cottage built to the north of the house.
Later during the C19 the cottage was incorporated into the house by means of
a linking wing with the east front; also a north wing was added to the C17
west range and a gabled porch was built onto the east front. East front
elevation: The c1800 left half is of orange and blue brick patterned Flemish
bond. Four windows width; central entrance; all windows have cambered
heads; ground floor windows are glazing bar sashes; on first floor the c1800
left half has two 3-light casements; the c1850 right half has 2 C20 casements.
Central, brick, gabled porch, scalloped bargeboards and part-glazed door
with cambered head. Gable end of former gardener's house adjoins to right
having a C20 door and blocked ground floor window and attic light. The C18
part of the south elevation has a moulded doorcase with broken pediment and
entablature on Doric columns; part-glazed door. Interior Alcove to left of
sandstone chimney on both floors was formerly baking oven. A diamond-shaped
plaque in the central C18 part of the building bears the initials "J F W"
and the date "1739" and refers to the Reverend John Whitehead, who was
responsible for the C18 additions.
Listing NGR: SO8218161922
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings