History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Nicholas Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Wield, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.159 / 51°9'32"N

Longitude: -1.0932 / 1°5'35"W

OS Eastings: 463511

OS Northings: 140365

OS Grid: SU635403

Mapcode National: GBR B7V.6FK

Mapcode Global: VHD0V.04FB

Entry Name: Nicholas Farmhouse

Listing Date: 31 May 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1179498

English Heritage Legacy ID: 142034

Location: Wield, East Hampshire, Hampshire, SO24

County: Hampshire

District: East Hampshire

Civil Parish: Wield

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Wield St James

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
Shalden

Listing Text

SU 64 SW WIELD LOWER WIELD

2/5 Nicholas Farmhouse

II

House. C16, C17, and 1757. Brick, with tiled and thatched roof. L-shaped
block of 3 periods; the earliest part (at the angle) is the eastern unit of a
timber framed house, the western unit having been refaced in the C17, from the
angle a long north-south block was added in the C18. The front (east) is 2
storeys, 5 windows. Thatched roof hipped at the north and ½-hipped at the
south. Walls of Flemish bond, with cambered ground floor openings, the north
side (east end of the original house) has exposed framing in the lower part,
containing herringbone brickwork, and tile-hanging to the 1st floor. C20
casements. The plain doorway has a 6 flush-panelled door beneath a thatched
canopy on posts; at the south side jamb a brick is incised SC 1757. The north
elevation has a tile roof, steeply ½-hipped at the west end, and a shafted stack;
the east side walls are tile-hung above exposed bricknogged framing, the west
side of English bond brickwork (C17) with a plinth. The rear elevations (within
the angle) show the long C18 arm with 4 above 5 windows, and the projecting Cl7
rebuilt wing; casements to the later arm and large sashes (of the early C19 but
restored) inserted in the wing.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.