History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade II Listed Building in Marrick, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.3755 / 54°22'31"N

Longitude: -1.8983 / 1°53'54"W

OS Eastings: 406701

OS Northings: 497782

OS Grid: SE067977

Mapcode National: GBR HK5V.T8

Mapcode Global: WHB5C.T960

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 21 April 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1179529

English Heritage Legacy ID: 322004

Location: Marrick, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL11

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire

Civil Parish: Marrick

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
Marrick

Listing Text

MARRICK MARRICK PRIORY
SE 09 NE
17/66 Church of St Andrew
(formerly listed as Priory
Church of St Andrew)
GV II
Church, now chapel and residential youth centre. C13, nave rebuilt
1811, converted c1970. Rubble, stone slate roof. West tower and nave
with ruined chancel. 3-storey tower with flat-headed belfry openings,
with mullions and transoms, on all 4 sides; stair turret on south
side. Nave of 5 bays divided by shallow stepped buttresses: south door
has Early English jambs under narrow pointed arch of 1811; above, large
round window containing a quatrefoil, removed from north side c1970;
Perpendicular windows of 2 lights with ogee tracery under flat heads.
East wall of tower has Perpendicular roofline at a higher level than
present roof, and blocked single-light, flat-headed opening. East
window of nave of 3 lights with Perpendicular tracery above a crested
transom, hollow-chamfered jambs. West wall of tower has diagonal
buttresses, on ground floor a window of 3 lancet lights under 1 pointed
arch, and single-light window to first floor. Interior: 2 eastern-most
bays of nave used as chapel, the rest converted to hostel accommodation.
The church has no aisles, but an Early English arcade was placed
laterally across it in 1811, consisting of 2 round piers supporting
1 arch and 2 half-arches. Several tombstones in paving of medieval, C17
and C18 dates. Font, on Early English column base, has deeply-cusped
stem and basin. Basin of Early English piscina. Jacobean altar table:
panels from Jacobean pulpit incorporated in modern reading and prayer
desks. On south wall, memorial to Thomas Fawcett of Oxque, d.1783, a
celebrated cultivator of bees, and Francis Morley of Marrick Park,
d.1854. On north wall, memorials to John Sherlock, d.1809, and Mary
Sherlock, d.1814. Fragments of medieval stained glass in tracery of
east window. Early English tower arch, with plain responds. Hatchment
dated 1696. Ruins of chancel contain the jambs of a wide east window;
south window survives with springing for Decorated tracery; fragments of
aumbry, piscina and sedilia. Early English doorway removed from nave
c1970 and incorporated into hostel building immediately to north of
church (otherwise not of special interest). Farm buildings adjoining
tower to north have fragments of early work. Originally the church of
the Priory of Benedictine nuns founded in the C12, the nave was
originally the conventual church, and the choir the parish church: after
the Dissolution the nave became the parish church.


Listing NGR: SE0670197782

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.