This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.452 / 52°27'7"N
Longitude: 1.1593 / 1°9'33"E
OS Eastings: 614770
OS Northings: 288471
OS Grid: TM147884
Mapcode National: GBR TH1.CWS
Mapcode Global: VHL8W.1MQP
Entry Name: Channonz Hall
Listing Date: 11 September 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1179541
English Heritage Legacy ID: 226243
Location: Tibenham, South Norfolk, Norfolk, NR15
District: South Norfolk
Civil Parish: Tibenham
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Tibenham All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
5321 TIENHAM PLANTATION ROAD
TM 18 NW 15/2A 11.9.51
Second half of C16. The date 1569 above east door is not original. Only
the east kitchen wing remains of a former U-shaped house. Most of the hall
section and the west wing were demolished in 1784. Built of red brick with
tiled roofs, 2 storeys plus attics, the central hall had a tall gabled porch
and the marking wings were connected by a wall with a gatehouse at the centre
enclosing a square court. The north gable of the remaining wing (like the
demolished west wing) is crow-stepped with tall ornamental moulded brick
finials with ogee-shaped caps, which were surmounted by wind vanes. (The
porch and dormers were similarly treated but none survive). The finials
rise from octagonal corner buttresses. There are moulded brick string courses.
The north end one bay and west side 3 bays have 3 and 4-light windows with
moulded brick hollow-chamfered mullions and transoms, and are surmounted
by shallow moulded brick pediments. The west doorway of the east wing is
similarly pedimented, with moulded architrave and round arch, the door is
On west side (the original out side) there is a large chimney stack with
octagonal shafts, the original bellcote has been demolished. Interior: partition
walls of timber-frame. Ground floor south-east room has incised circles
on plaster ceiling-purpose?
Very crude wall drawing in attic. Panelled first floor room. Panelled
doors throughout the house of 1721.
The house is on a moated site and there is an earlier medieval moated site
to south-east. The house was extensively repaired and the interior modernised
in 1721-4 by John Buxton who was an amateur architect.
Listing NGR: TM1477088471
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings