This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0903 / 51°5'25"N
Longitude: -0.967 / 0°58'1"W
OS Eastings: 472443
OS Northings: 132838
OS Grid: SU724328
Mapcode National: GBR CB3.GD0
Mapcode Global: FRA 86V7.R2F
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 31 July 1963
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1179601
English Heritage Legacy ID: 142369
Location: Newton Valence, East Hampshire, Hampshire, GU34
District: East Hampshire
Civil Parish: Newton Valence
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Newton Valence St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SU 73 SW NEWTON VALENCE NEWTON VALENCE
5/15 Church of St Mary
Parish church. C12, mainly C13, C15, 1813, with restoration of 1871. Of Saxon
origin, a single cell of Early English design, with a north-west chapel (late C13),
a western tower (raised and restored 1813) and a south vestry (1871). Tile roof
of a single ridge, gables to the lower chapel and vestry roofs. Walls (Victorian)
of flint with stone dressings, buttresses, plinth : all the windows are lancets
except those in the chapel and vestry gables, which are coupled beneath trefoil
and quatrefoil. The tower has 2 stages, with lower lancets, cemented walls,
brick parapet with simple corner turrets, and a Perpendicular arch to a westdoor
(now blocked). Inside, there is a regular pattern of lancets (3 Victorian)
resting on a roll moulding, and an arch to the chapel, resting on moulded caps
(Cl3) of a ½ column and a bracket. At the east end is a Norman pillar piscina,
and the chapel has a C13 piscina. There are several wall monuments of the C18
and C19, and floor slabs in the sanctuary of the mid C18: and a small lettered
brass of 1616. Other interior details are Victorian, including a "Perpendicular"
font. The Norman font has been recovered and placed in the chapel.
Listing NGR: SU7246432815
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings