History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stables About Five Yards North East of Englands Gate Inn

A Grade II Listed Building in Bodenham, County of Herefordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1579 / 52°9'28"N

Longitude: -2.6688 / 2°40'7"W

OS Eastings: 354340

OS Northings: 251276

OS Grid: SO543512

Mapcode National: GBR FN.66LN

Mapcode Global: VH859.P1G3

Entry Name: Stables About Five Yards North East of Englands Gate Inn

Listing Date: 21 May 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1179646

English Heritage Legacy ID: 149574

Location: Bodenham, County of Herefordshire, HR1

County: County of Herefordshire

Civil Parish: Bodenham

Built-Up Area: Bodenham Moor

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Bodenham

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Bodenham

Listing Text

BODENHAM CP off A 417 (west Bide)
SO 55 SW
5/11 Stables about five
yards north-east of
Englands Gate Inn
GV II
Stables. Circa 1838, altered circa 1869. Coursed sandstone rubble with
hipped concrete-tiled roof. L-plan. Main range of three bays aligned
north/south with smaller three-bay range adjoining to north-east. Main
range of two levels. Main east elevation: openings all have cambered
heads. There are three upper-level windows with 2-light casements, (central
one is blocked by a painted sign). Below are four ledged and battened doors
which have transom lights with two glazing bars. There is a flight of external
steps to the upper level adjoining the west elevation. The north-east wing is
of a single storey and has three double doorways in its south elevation (the
outer ones have multi-paned transom lights) and a lean-to outshut adjoining
its north elevation. There was originally a granary or hayloft above the
stables. In 1869 the windows were inserted when it became used as the club-
room of the Court Arkwright. The building is situated close to Englands
Gate Inn (qv). Included for group value. (Brian, Dr A: The Houses of the
Township of Bodenham Deveruex and their inhabitants in the C19 and earlier,
unpublished notes).


Listing NGR: SO5434051276

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.