This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9791 / 50°58'44"N
Longitude: -1.1324 / 1°7'56"W
OS Eastings: 461001
OS Northings: 120323
OS Grid: SU610203
Mapcode National: GBR 98L.GJ6
Mapcode Global: FRA 86JJ.6NM
Entry Name: Corhampton Church
Listing Date: 6 March 1967
Last Amended: 24 September 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1179686
English Heritage Legacy ID: 146347
Location: Corhampton and Meonstoke, Winchester, Hampshire, SO32
Civil Parish: Corhampton and Meonstoke
Built-Up Area: Meonstoke
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Meonstoke with Corhampton
Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth
SU 62 SW CORHAMPTON & MEONSTOKE CORHAMPTON
4/28 Corhampton Church
6.3.67 (formerly listed as The
Parish church, of no dedication. C1020, east end replaced, after collapse due to
road works, in 1855, C13, c1600, and restoration of 1905 by Sir Thomas Jackson.
Almost complete two-cell Saxon church, with restoration vestry and south porch.
Flint walls with some plaster covering, stone dressings; long and short quoins and
a series of thin pilasters (lesesnes) linking plinth and eaves bands. The east end
is brickwork and the top of the west gable has diaper brick and flint patterning
(of 1905): vestry and south porch have flint walls with stone dressings of plain
style. Tile roof, with very small western bell turret. Lancet, east end
'Perpendicular' window. Inside there is the original Saxon chancel arch, a Norman
font, a C13 stone seat in the chancel, and a series of (now obscure) C13 wall
paintings on the theme of the story of St Swithun. The roof and pulpit are
Jacobean, and there is a Victorian west gallery. The communion rail is C18, with
slatted balusters. There are two floor monuments, of 1788 and 1814, and
Prescription panels on the west wall.
Listing NGR: SU6103320282
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings