History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of the Holy Rood

A Grade II* Listed Building in Mordiford, County of Herefordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0338 / 52°2'1"N

Longitude: -2.6275 / 2°37'39"W

OS Eastings: 357047

OS Northings: 237450

OS Grid: SO570374

Mapcode National: GBR FP.G4VH

Mapcode Global: VH85X.D4SQ

Entry Name: Church of the Holy Rood

Listing Date: 26 January 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1179735

English Heritage Legacy ID: 155001

Location: Mordiford, County of Herefordshire, HR1

County: County of Herefordshire

Civil Parish: Mordiford

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Mordiford

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Hampton Bishop

Listing Text

MORDIFORD CP MORDIFORD
SO 53 NE
5/140 Church of the Holy Rood
26.1.67
GV II*
Parish church. C12 core with C13 chancel and remaining base (ground stage)
of former central tower, remainder largely rebuilt and altered c1811 and
further altered during restoration by F R Kempson in late C19. Sandstone
rubble and ashlar dressings, tiled roofs. Nave with north aisle and south-
west tower, south porch and south chapel; ground stage of former central
tower, chancel with north vestry. South-west tower of three stages with
parapet and 2-light vent to bell stage, lean-to south porch with open
decorative timber supports obscuring inner C12 doorway of nave, semi-circular
head with chevron ornament and chamfered label, attached shafts to responds
with scallop of cushion capitals and moulded base, 3-light C19 window in
gable of chapel to right; 2-light C19 window with plate tracery to central
tower, similar pair of C19 trefoil headed lights to chancel. Interior: four-
bay nave, largely of C19 reconstruction. C13 east and west tower arches of
three chamfered orders. Fittings largely C19. In north wall of chancel
late C13 coffin lid with decorative floral and vegetal reliefs; the plain
bowl of a font dated 1637 is situated in south porch. Monuments: on east
wall of south chapel wall monument to Margaret (Vaughan) widow of William
Bridges "who died at her prayers", 1655, stone, niche with architrave con-
taining kneeling figure of praying female in contemporary dress, inscription
panel below. Before the alteration of c1811, the west gable of the church
is said to have had a painting of a large dragon, the legendary dragon of
Mordiford. (RCHM Vol II, p 144; BoE, p 256).


Listing NGR: SO5704837451

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.