History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Upton Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Upton, Nottinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0818 / 53°4'54"N

Longitude: -0.9045 / 0°54'16"W

OS Eastings: 473480

OS Northings: 354406

OS Grid: SK734544

Mapcode National: GBR BK0.S57

Mapcode Global: WHFHG.2SKS

Entry Name: Upton Hall

Listing Date: 7 August 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1179760

English Heritage Legacy ID: 242845

Location: Upton, Newark and Sherwood, Nottinghamshire, NG23

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Newark and Sherwood

Civil Parish: Upton

Built-Up Area: Upton (Newark and Sherwood) BU

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Upton

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
Southwell

Listing Text

SK 75 SW UPTON MAIN ROAD
(west side)

8/141 Upton Hall
7-8-52
G.V. II*

Country house. Now headquarters of the British Horological
Institute. 1832, incorporating C17 house. By W. J. Donthorn.
Large addition and interior remodelled 1895, for Mr. Warwick.
Greek revival style. Brick, stucco and colourwash. Slate roofs.
Ashlar plinth, brick plinth, moulded string course and cornice,
moulded stucco and brick eaves, coped parapets. 4 capped stacks
at corners of dome parapet, 6 side wall, 3 gable and 2 ridge
stacks. 2 and 3 storeys, 7 bays in the arrangement 3/1/3. L-
plan. South front, 1832, has recessed central bay with flanking
wings. Central bay has ashlar basement with 3 glazing bar sashes
and latticed iron area railing. Above, tetrastyle Ionic portico
with pediment and antae with C19 foliate frieze. 3 full height
French windows with overlights. Flanked by single fluted cast
iron urns. Beyond, single 3 light glazing bar sashes with
pilasters and panelled friezes. Central lights have blind bases
with scroll brackets and Greek Key. Above, central mullioned and
transomed French window flanked by single blank openings, all
with moulded eared Egyptian architraves. Beyond, single glazing
bar sashes. Above again, central low pitched dome with central
light in balustraded and railed enclosure. To left, linking bay
has central round headed doorway with pilasters and panelled
cornice, double half glazed doors and fanlight. Above, a 3 light
plain sash. 1895 addition, to west, has to south central 2
storey bow window with Ionic pilasters and 3 curved plain sashes.
Flanked by single 3 light plain sashes with pilasters, panelled
friezes and cornices. Above, central bow window with 3 sashes,
flanked by single 3 light plain sashes. East front has
pedimented central bay with 3 bay portico in antis, with square
columns and pilasters with moulded capitals and bases. Glazed
infill with central double doors with overlight. Flanked to left
by blank panel and to right by a glazing bar sash. Above, to
left, blank panel and to right, smaller glazing bar sash. Above
again, pediment flanked by single fluted urns. Return angle, to
right, has single glazing bar sash and above, blank panel. 3
storey rear wing, to right, has 2 glazing bar sashes, that to
right smaller. Above, a single glazing bar sash on each floor.
West side has to right, C20 casement and to left, C17 stone
casement with keeled mullion and splayed reveal. Above, 2
glazing bar sashes on each floor with keystoned rubbed brick
heads. Traces of stone mullioned windows. Lower 2 storey
outbuildings, to north, have, to left, brick and stone stairs
with kennel under, and to right, 3 glazing bar sashes. Above, to
left, recessed door and to right, a glazing bar sash. East side
has C19 fenestration including triple glazing bar sash and
rainwater head inscribed 'J W 1832'. West front, 1895, has to
right, 4 panels with moulded architraves and to left, a plain
sash on each floor. Rear wings, 1895. 2 and 3 storeys, 3 bays,
have 2 triple plain sashes with pilasters and plain sashes with
keystoned rubbed brick heads. East entrance has panelled double
door with glazing bar overlight and single flanking glazing bar
lights. Entrance hall has moulded doorway with panelled
architrave and cornice. Large Classical marble fireplace with
pilasters and scrolled brackets, and overmantel mirror with
Corinthian pilasters, anthemion frieze and cornice. Central hall
has Jacobean style decoration, 1895. Half-height panelling, and
to north, balcony on scroll brackets. To its left, 2 bay arcade
with moulded keystoned basket arches. To right, cantilevered
stairs with landing and galleries. Panelled square newels with
lion and ball finials, balcony with fretted panel, and square
tapered Classical balusters. To south, central recess containing
marble fireplace with Corinthian columns on dice with strapwork,
reeded frieze, 2 panels with relief carving, and broken segmental
pediment with finials. To left, doorway with moulded architrave,
reeded frieze and corniced panel on scroll brackets inscribed
'1895'. Hall gallery has to east and west central porticoes with
dice carrying fluted square timber piers, foliate friezes and
moulded pediments. That to east has C20 glazed doors and
overlight. Shallow domed ceiling has foliate cornice with
shields with Arms to north and south. Dome has moulded
pendentives and central light. Bateman Room, to south, has half
height panelling, moulded cornice and foliate central boss.
West end has shouldered marble fireplace surround with scroll
brackets, frieze with relief carving and moulded cornice. Pair
of flanking Corinthian columns carrying Renaissance Revival
overmantel with pilasters with cherubs and moulded elliptical
pediment. Flanked by panelled fitted corner seats on moulded
brackets. East end has 3 full height pointed headed mirrors with
foliate scroll work. Front office, to south, has Classical
ashlar fireplace with double Ionic piers and antae, moulded
frieze and dentillated cornice. Kitchen has remains of chamfered
ashlar fireplace. Theatre, to south, has late C19 moulded
proscenium arch with deep moulded foliate cornice, shells in
spandrels, and central scrolled cartouche. First floor Harrison
Room has C19 Classical timber fireplace with eared and shouldered
overmantel mirror. First floor boudoir to south east has wall
panels with scrolled oval heads, moulded cornice, timber
fireplace with very large angled scrolled brackets, foliate
carving, curved panelled frieze and moulded mantel shelf.
Matching overmantel mirror with foliate scrolled brackets and
shaped head. Window seat. Other principal rooms have moulded
friezes and cornices. Several have late C19 moulded coffered
ceilings. Early C19 back stairs have winder and landings, turned
newels, ramped handrail and stick balusters.


Listing NGR: SK7348054406

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.