This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.3331 / 54°19'59"N
Longitude: -1.7468 / 1°44'48"W
OS Eastings: 416560
OS Northings: 493088
OS Grid: SE165930
Mapcode National: GBR JL7B.MG
Mapcode Global: WHC6S.4CF0
Entry Name: Church of Saint Oswald
Listing Date: 13 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1179762
English Heritage Legacy ID: 321925
Location: West Hauxwell, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL8
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: West Hauxwell
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
SE 19 SE WEST HAUXWELL
8/40 Church of Saint Oswald
Church. C11, C13. Sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings, stone slate and
lead roofs. West tower, nave with south porch, chancel with north vestry.
4-storey tower with offset angle buttresses. Ground floor: 2 lancet
windows; first and second floors 1 lancet. 2-light trefoil-headed belfry
opening. Embattled parapet. West side: C19 window of 2 trefoil-headed
lights with cinquefoil above; 2-light double-chamfered belfry opening.
North side: belfry opening of 2 trefoil-headed lights with hollow chamfers.
East side: belfry opening of 2 pointed lights in double-chamfered surround.
Nave: 3 bays. Herringbone masonry. C19 porch with Romanesque-style doorway
in front of early C12 Romanesque doorway with scallop capitals to columns,
zigzag, billet, and roll mouldings to arch and trellis motif in tympanum.
Small pointed window to west of porch; to east, window of 2 trefoil-headed
lights with quatrefoil above and hoodmould; lancet window. Embattled
parapet. North doorway (blocked): Cll jambs, with roll on jambs, plain
capitals and imposts. Lintel appears to be a re-used Anglo-Danish cross-
shaft with interlace. Chancel: 3 bays. Herringbone masonry. C19 priest's
door. Trefoil-headed window, 2 lancets. 3 lancets on north side, East
end: 2 offset angle buttresses, that to north with a bench mark. East
window of 3 pointed lights in chamfered surround. Interior: C12 4-centred
tower arch of 2 chamfered orders. C13 chancel arch of 2 orders with rolls,
cushion capitals and cabled abaci. C14 arch of 2 chamfered orders to north
chapel. Piscina with trefoiled head and shelf. Octagonal font on C18
baluster shaft set on C13 column base. Pulpit with Jacobean panels. Under
tower, 2 C15 bench ends with poppy-heads, pelican and griffin. Hatchment of
Mary Gale d.1845. Nave: 2 gesso effigies of Sir William de Barden, d.1309,
and his wife. Chancel: floor slab in sanctuary to Mark Milbanks d.1698.
North wall: brass to Henry Thoresby d.1611, set in stone frame with trefoil.
Large monument with long inscription in Latin to William Dalton d.1670/1,
with torus of bayleaf garland around plaque, set in frame with swags of
fruit and cherubs, with a broken pediment above containing a coat of arms on
a cartouche. Several fine C18 wall monuments including one in chancel to
Sir Charles Dalton, Gentleman Usher of the Black Rod d.1747, "grandson of
John Dalton killed at Burton on Trent conducting the Queen to Oxford 1644".
In the vestry, an oak parish chest.
Listing NGR: SE1656193088
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings