History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Weir House and Flanking Walls

A Grade II Listed Building in Bodenham, County of Herefordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1568 / 52°9'24"N

Longitude: -2.6804 / 2°40'49"W

OS Eastings: 353550

OS Northings: 251170

OS Grid: SO535511

Mapcode National: GBR FM.69RD

Mapcode Global: VH859.H1BW

Entry Name: The Weir House and Flanking Walls

Listing Date: 11 June 1959

Last Amended: 21 May 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1179766

English Heritage Legacy ID: 149588

Location: Bodenham, County of Herefordshire, HR1

County: County of Herefordshire

Civil Parish: Bodenham

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Bodenham

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Bodenham

Listing Text

BODENHAM CP BODENHAM
SO 55 SW
5/25 The Weir House and
flanking walls (formerly
11.6.59 listed as House immediately
north of Bodenham Bridge)
II
House, once divided into two dwellings, now home for the elderly, and flanking
walls. Circa 1730 rebuilding of C17 or earlier building with early C20 altera-
tions. Handmade brick on sandstone base, some sandstone walling to rear and
left side; plain tiled roofs, partly hipped with large end brick stacks. Two
storeys and attic with dentilled eaves cornice. 1:3:1 bays; central three bays
are surmounted by a large gable, the outer bays project as narrow hipped-roofed
wings. Windows have gauged flat heads with dropped moulded keyblocks and are
all glazing bar sashes with moulded architraves. There are two ground floor
and three first first 18-pane sashes in the central part and also a round-
headed sash within the gable at attic level with sandstone imposts. The flank-
ing wings have narrow 12-pane sashes on both floors; the first floor windows
have been blocked. The central entrance has a C20 gabled canopy on wrought iron
brackets, a moulded architrave and a 6-panelled door, the upper four panels
of which have been glazed. There is a continuous lean-to outshut with a cat-
slide roof at rear. Interior: the central hall has an oak open well staircase
with turned balusters, moulded brackets and handrail and panelled dado. There
are ventilators in the attic ceilings which may indicate the house was once
used as a maltings. The flanking walls are brick with sandstone coping and vary
from about 15 feet high to a height of about 14 feet. Both walls are about
six yards long and terminate in square piers. (BoE, p 77; Brian;Dr A:
The Houses of the Township of Bodenham Devereux and their inhabitants in the
C19 and earlier, unpublished notes).


Listing NGR: SO5355051170

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.