History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bridge Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Wellington, County of Herefordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1301 / 52°7'48"N

Longitude: -2.734 / 2°44'2"W

OS Eastings: 349854

OS Northings: 248230

OS Grid: SO498482

Mapcode National: GBR FK.7VX3

Mapcode Global: VH858.KQJF

Entry Name: Bridge Farmhouse

Listing Date: 20 October 1952

Last Amended: 15 July 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1179775

English Heritage Legacy ID: 154106

Location: Wellington, County of Herefordshire, HR4

County: County of Herefordshire

Civil Parish: Wellington

Built-Up Area: Wellington ( Hereford

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Wellington

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Burghill

Listing Text

SO 44 NE WELLINGTON WELLINGTON

470/3/142 Bridge Farmhouse

20.10.52

GV II*

House. C15; remodelled C16, circa 1600, early and late C18; extended in C18 and C19. Timber-framed with plaster panels, ground floor rebuilt in stone rubble [painted]. Welsh slate roof, hipped at front and with gabled cross-wings at rear. Large stone rubble lateral stacks with brick shafts. PLAN: U-shaped on plan. The original circa C15 house comprised an open hall with a cross-passage to the left [W] and two 3-bay cross-wings; the low end cross-wing on the left [W] was open to the roof; the cross-wing on the right [E] with unheated rooms on the ground floor and a large chamber [solar] above open to the roof. In about 1600 the solar was ceiled with a fine moulded plaster ceiling, at about the same time as floors were inserted into the hall and low [W] end cross-wing and a lateral stack was built at the back of the hall. In about the early C18 a staircase was put in the east cross-wing dividing the solar and an outbuilding with a loft was built at the rear of of the west cross-wing. At about this time the ground floor walls were rebuilt in stone. A second staircase was built in the widened cross-passage in the late C18. In the C19 an outshut was built behind the hall, between the two wings. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 5-window south front. 2 and 3-light circa early C19 casements on first floor and later C19 or C20 2,3 and 4-light casements on ground floor; doorway to left of centre with gabled canopy with domed soffit on acanthus console brackets and panelled door with later glazing; steps down to cellar doorway on left. At sides and rear large projecting lateral stacks with weathered set-offs. At rear [N], projecting gabled cross-wings to left and right, the right with former outbuilding extension with lattice framing in gable end; between the wings a brick outshut. INTERIOR: Widened cross-passage with late C18 staircase with Chinoisserie balastrade at top. Hall has framed ceiling with chamfered beams; exposed rear wall-post with moulded corbel and foot of chamfered arch brace. E cross-wing, front room has moulded stone fireplace; room at rear with large exposed joists, and early C18 staircase at centre with heavy moulded handrail and replaced balusters; chamber above with inserted partition has fine circa 1600 moulded single-rib plaster ceiling with kite-shaped panels, fleur-de-lis and Tudor roses; panelling, moulded stone fireplace and exposed framing with feet of arch braces. The rear [N] ground floor room of W cross-wing has stone fireplace, possibly reused solar fireplace. Chamfered ceiling beams and exposed wall-framing with jowled storey-posts, ogee-head to doorway into west cross-wing. Cross-wings have 3-bay Medieval roofs with tie-beam and collar trusses, all chamfered and with mason's mitres, chamfered threaded purlins and chamfered curved wind-braces, the west wing smoke-blackened, the east wing clean. Hall roof rebuilt, but reusing smoke-blackened principal rafters in king-post roof and with some blackened common-rafters. SOURCE: RCHM, vol II, p.202.

Listing NGR: SO4985448230

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.