History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade I Listed Building in Weston, Nottinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2036 / 53°12'12"N

Longitude: -0.8424 / 0°50'32"W

OS Eastings: 477416

OS Northings: 368016

OS Grid: SK774680

Mapcode National: GBR BHQ.3V4

Mapcode Global: WHFGX.1Q3X

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 11 August 1961

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1179778

English Heritage Legacy ID: 242848

Location: Weston, Newark and Sherwood, Nottinghamshire, NG23

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Newark and Sherwood

Civil Parish: Weston

Built-Up Area: Weston (Newark and Sherwood) B

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Weston

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
Weston

Listing Text

SK 76 NE WESTON MAIN STREET
(north side)

1/144 Church of
All Saints
11-8-61
G.V. I

Parish church. C13, C14, C15, C16, restored 1768 and C19.
Coursed rubble and coursed squared rubble, lead and slab roofs.
Ashlar dressings, dressed stone quoins, rubble plinths,
crenellated parapets. West tower and spire, nave, north and
south aisles, chancel, south porch. West tower. 2 stages. C13
and C14, has string course and decorated eaves band with 4
gargoyles and restored crenellated parapet. Octagonal setback
rubble spire with finial and weathercock. Remains of corner
buttress to south east, single setoff, engaged with south aisle.
First stage has to south, clock. To west, C19 single lancet, and
above, plain rectangular light. Second stage has 4 C14 double
lancet bell openings with cusped ogee heads with quatrefoils and
hood moulds with mask stops. Nave clerestory, C16, 4 bays, has
to north 4 crocketed pinnacles, restored, and to south 3
pinnacles. East gable with cross. Each side has 4 C16 triple
lancets, 2 with round and 2 with pointed heads, in plain square
reveals. North aisle, 4 bays, has remains of sill band and 2
irregular plain buttresses, 2 setoffs. C20 external stack at
west end. To west, blocked chamfered pointed arched doorway
flanked to east by 2 and to west by single restored late C14
triple lancets with cusped ogee heads and chamfered mullions and
reveals. West end has a C15 triple lancet with ogee heads, panel
tracery, splayed mullions and reveal and hood mould with mask
stops. East end has late C14 triple lancet with ogee heads,
restored Decorated tracery with fleurons, chamfered mullions and
reveal. South aisle, 4 bays, has 2 coped gables and 3 irregular
buttresses, 2 setoffs. East end has late C14 triple lancet with
ogee heads, Decorated tracery with mouchettes, chamfered and
splayed reveal and mullions. West end has a similar lancet
restored C20. South side has to east, 2 C15 partly restored
double lancets with ogee heads, Decorated tracery, splayed
mullions and splayed and rebated reveals. To west a late C14
restored triple lancet of similar design, with square headed
reveal. Chancel, 2 bays, has moulded eaves band and crenellated
east gable with cross. East end has 2 C19 diagonal buttresses, 2
setoffs. North side has to west, restored C15 quadruple lancet
with ogee heads, Decorated tracery with mouchettes, chamfered
square headed reveal and hood mould with mask stops. East end
has a restored C14 quadruple lancet with cusped heads and
Decorated tracery, splayed mullions and reveal and hood mould
with mask stops. South side has central C15 priest's door with
chamfered reveal with four centred arched head and hood mould
with mask stops. Traceried panelled door. Flanked by single C15
triple lancets with ogee heads, Decorated tracery, hood moulds
and mask stops. South porch, C14, restored, has deep moulded and
chamfered plinth, chamfered eaves, 2 diagonal buttresses to
south, single setoff. Slab roof with roll moulded ridge. Coped
gables with kneelers and cross. South doorway has restored cove
and roll moulded reveal with single column imposts, moulded
capitals and bases. Coved hood mould. Each side has a single
chamfered lancet. Interior has moulded eaves and ridge. South
inner doorway C14 with cove and roll mouldings with fillets.
Nave arcades, late C13, 4 bays, octagonal piers with moulded
bases and capitals, one with dogtooth. 4 octagonal imposts with
mask corbels. Double chamfered and rebated arches. Restored C15
principal rafter roof with moulded principal timbers, the ridge
inscribed 'J W 1768 R W'. C19 corbels carrying C19 moulded tie
beams with arch braces and struts to ridge. Tower arch, C14,
double chamfered and rebated, dying into chamfered surround. C20
timber screen with central door and above, leaded light. Tower
chamber has cleft timber ladder to bell stage. Bells dated 1550,
1646, 1880. North aisle has window with stained glass panel,
1978, and east window with stained glass panel, 1973. C19 lean-
to roof on corbels, with moulded arch braces and principal
timbers. South aisle has on south side, remains of stoup with
ogee head. Roof like north aisle with 4 re-used corbels.
Chancel arch, C14, double chamfered and rebated, with moulded
octagonal imposts with beast corbels. North side hasrestored
double cusped head recess. East end has window with patterned
C19 stained glass. C19 principal rafter roof with chamfered
timbers and foliate bosses. Fittings include plain C12 tub font
with chamfered round base, restored C18 fielded panelled timber
pulpit with stencilled decoration, and C20 timber eagle lectern
with octagonal traceried panelled stem. C19 traceried and
billeted benches incorporating 21 C15 traceried panelled bench
ends. 2 C19 benches with fleur de lys finials, incorporating C17
and C18 plain, traceried and carved panels. Carved and panelled
C19 clergy desk. 2 C17 arm chairs with chip carved panelled
backs. C18 iron bound parish chest. Single C19 stacked tube
radiator. Memorials include inscribed marble tablet, 1729, by
Paul Jenkinson to Prudence Fiennes. Marble and slate tablet,
1896. Brass and slate war memorial tablet, byrass, 1929, roll of
honour, 2 small C20 memorials.


Listing NGR: SK7741668015


This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 27 October 2017.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.