History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Paulinus Presbytery and Attached Outbuildings

A Grade II* Listed Building in Brough with St. Giles, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.378 / 54°22'40"N

Longitude: -1.6697 / 1°40'10"W

OS Eastings: 421552

OS Northings: 498106

OS Grid: SE215981

Mapcode National: GBR JKST.9C

Mapcode Global: WHC6M.B742

Entry Name: Church of St Paulinus Presbytery and Attached Outbuildings

Listing Date: 3 July 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1179809

English Heritage Legacy ID: 322326

Location: Brough with St. Giles, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL10

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire

Civil Parish: Brough with St. Giles

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Catterick St Anne

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Catterick Bridge

Listing Text

BROUGH WITH ST GILES BROUGH PARK
SE 29 NW
4/16 Church of St Paulinus,
presbytery and attached
outbuildings

GV II*

Former Roman Catholic church, presbytery and attached outbuildings. Dated
1837. By Ignatius Bonomi for William Lawson. Sandstone ashlar with Welsh
slate roof. Church: 2 storeys, 5 bays. Vestibule and school-rooms on
ground floor; church on first floor: nave and chancel in one, north tribune
serving as family pew, north vestry (connecting internally with presbytery).
West end: angle buttresses, gabled at top. Central Early-English style
doorway of 2 shafted orders, with crucifix above. On first floor, 5 stepped
lancet windows under semicircular label. Trefoil in gable. South
elevation: bays divided by gabled buttresses. Ground floor: cross-windows
with depressed-trefoil heads except in blank fifth bay. String. First
floor: in first bay, paired lancets in pointed arch; second to fourth bays,
3 stepped lancets in round arch; one lancet in fifth bay. East end: 3
ground-floor windows as on south side; 5-light first-floor window and
trefoil as at west end. House, at east end: double-depth plan; 2 storeys, 3
bays. South elevation: ground-floor openings have shouldered lintels.
Central studded board door below 8-pane overlight. Paired-sash windows.
String. First floor: paired trefoil-headed lights under semicircular
continuous hood-moulds. Coped parapet. Stack with 5 chimneys to left end,
and stacks with 2 chimneys to each gable to right. Right return: 2 external
stacks. Walled yard to rear with single-storey stables and other
outbuildings to same design as house. Interior: church, ground floor:
vestibule with central octagonal columns, hatchments of Lawson family, 2
staircases up to first floor. First floor: inner shafting, with foliage on
capitals, reflects window detailings. North side: a 2- and 3-light window
with inner shafting. Arcade to tribune of 2 round arches, separated by
trefoil-headed doorway, with low screen wall with trefoiled arcading (based
on tomb of Walter de Gray in York Minster), and date above. Main roof of
semicircular braces supporting collars with crown-posts. Early-English
style stone altar of 5 trefoiled arches (based on tomb of Walter de Gray).
Below it, sarcophagus containing the remains of St Innocent, found in the
catacombs at Rome, and presented to William Lawson by Pope Gregory XVI. The
trefoil-arched reredos by Milburn of York was installed to commemorate the
church's Jubilee in 1887 (Bulmer). The grisaille coloured glass in the East
window by Willimont is a copy of that in the Five Sisters Window at York
Minster. Stained glass in the 4 south windows by Wailes, 1857-62. Stained
glass in the north-west window by H M Barnett of Newcastle, 1880. In the
tribune, an Cll font with rope motif. Bulmer, History, Topography and
Directory of North Yorkshire (1890), p 395. John Cornforth, "Brough Hall,
Yorkshire", Country Life (1967), pp 894-8 and 948-52; VCH i, p 301.


Listing NGR: SE2155298106

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.