This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0839 / 51°5'1"N
Longitude: -1.0001 / 1°0'0"W
OS Eastings: 470133
OS Northings: 132093
OS Grid: SU701320
Mapcode National: GBR B8Q.ZYJ
Mapcode Global: FRA 86S8.466
Entry Name: School and Schoolhouse
Listing Date: 18 July 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1179938
English Heritage Legacy ID: 142959
Location: East Tisted, East Hampshire, Hampshire, GU34
District: East Hampshire
Civil Parish: East Tisted
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: East Tisted with Colemore St James
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
EAST TISTED GOSPORT ROAD
SU 73 SW
5/5 School and Schoolhouse
Dwelling attached to a school (now replaced by an adjoining C20 building). 1837.
Walls of ashlar malmstone, with flat arches, plinth: the recessed south side is
roughcast, and the south end gable is completely tile-hung, with scalloped bands.
The roof is ornamented with scalloped bands, and there are 2 dormers with cusped
bargeboards: the large gables at the front also have a cusped pattern to the
bargeboards and the eaves are similarly treated, with wider curves. A long
narrow block with 2 projecting gabled wings, being 2 L-shaped units joined
together, with entrances in the angles; 1 storey and attic. The feature of the
building is the series of cast-iron casement windows, the design being made up
of very small octagonal panes. Each of the coupled attic windows has 3 (horizontal)
by 8 (vertical) octagons: 2 recessed windows to house and school have 3 units,
each of 3 x 8 octagons: in the 2 front gables are large splayed bays with 2 tiers
of 5 units, each of 3 x 8 octagons (the northern with additional narrow end
windows of 2 x 8 octagons). The house porch (of Bath stone) has a gable above a
Tudor arch: the roof is brought to a lower eaves on posts to form the open porch
of the school entrance and nearby a stone is inscribed 1837. The south gable
has a 4-cusped ogee small window above a splayed bay with 5 casements, both with
diagonal patterns to the cast-iron frames.
Listing NGR: SP7013432092
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings