History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Wern Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Brilley, County of Herefordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1309 / 52°7'51"N

Longitude: -3.1079 / 3°6'28"W

OS Eastings: 324256

OS Northings: 248644

OS Grid: SO242486

Mapcode National: GBR F1.7ZPC

Mapcode Global: VH77M.2PTT

Entry Name: The Wern Farmhouse

Listing Date: 19 August 1953

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1180083

English Heritage Legacy ID: 150577

Location: Brilley, County of Herefordshire, HR3

County: County of Herefordshire

Civil Parish: Brilley

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Brilley with Michaelchurch

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Whitney

Listing Text

BRILLEY CP -
SO 24 NW
4/24 The Wern Farmhouse
19.8.53
GV II
Farmhouse. Circa 1400, altered C17, mid-C19 and mid-C20. Part rubble
(rendered to rear) and timber-framed with machine tiled roof and three brick
ridge stacks, part rubble; timber-framed and weatherboarded with corrugated
metal roof. Hall and cross-wing plan; hall part of four cruck-framed bays
aligned east/west, including a through-passage bay and having the main
chimney backing onto the passage. Cross-wing of three framed bays is
situated at the west end and is not in use at present. Single storey and
attic with dormers. Framing: not visible externally, South front elevation:
windows have timber lintels. There are two 3-light casements and a 2-light
casement on the ground floor, two gabled dormers with 3-light casements and
a gabled porch on timber posts with a partly-glazed door within. The cross-
wing gable end to the left has a door and a loft opening. Interior: two
pairs of full cruck blades were visible; five pairs are recorded to survive.
The former hall has an inserted C17 ceiling divided into six compartments
by stop-chamfered beams. The cross-wing retains much of its medieval roof
although it has been raised on the west side. It has three main moulded
arch-braced collar trusses, two subsidiary collar and tie-beam trusses with
raking struts, two tiers of cusped wind-braces, and two tiers of purlins.
(RCHM, III, p 25, item 28; Alcock, NW: CBA Cruck Catalogue, 1981).


Listing NGR: SO2425648644

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.