This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5687 / 52°34'7"N
Longitude: -0.9781 / 0°58'40"W
OS Eastings: 469362
OS Northings: 297257
OS Grid: SP693972
Mapcode National: GBR 9PR.ZH3
Mapcode Global: WHFKX.YPFL
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 29 December 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1180137
English Heritage Legacy ID: 191044
Location: Carlton Curlieu, Harborough, Leicestershire, LE8
Civil Parish: Carlton Curlieu
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Carlton Curlieu and Burton Overy
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SP69NE CARLTON CURLIEU
church of st. mary
Church. C12 tower, restored and partly rebuilt 1685 (dated), rest 1767, altered and restored 1880-1. Course rubble stone and ashlar with quoins, and red brick with stone dressings. Swithland slate roofs with stone coped gable and finial. W.Tower, navem and chancel under one roof, N. vestry and S porch. Unbuttressed tower of 3 stagesm C12 lower 2 of coursed rubble stone, stage, and 4 2-light bell openings with rounded arches, impost blocks, keystones and ver simple curving tracery. Cornice and parapet with corner pilasters surmounted by orbs, the lower part covered with foliage. Rounded arech to nave with zig-zag in soffit, chevron on archb and roll moulding on angle. Impost moulding and scalloped capitals but shafts missing. Nave and chancel are of red brick with stone plinth, buttresses with set-offs, and cornice. 5 windows to S., 4 to N., of 1880 and of 2 lights with simple Geometric tracery. C19 5 bay roof, crown posts and struts from collars. N. vestry , rebuilt 1880. C19 E. window with intersected tracery and stained glass. C19 S. porch wooden open work on stone plinth. N. Windon of vestry has fragments of medieval stained glass. Below is a monument of Sir John Bale, died 1621 and wife. Alabaster and marble with 2 recumbant effigies on a table tomb, the wife behind and higher. The aedicule behind has a central cartouche carved with coat of arms as cresting, and below, on the back platem the couple's children caved in high relief. Strapwork, sheilds and inscriptions round the base of tomb. Georgian Royal Arms painted on canvas. On d N face of tower parapet is inscribed "in the year MDCLXXXV the church and steeple was repaired by Geffrey Palmer Esq, son and heir of \Sir Lewis Palmer of \Carlton near Cottingham inthe Country of Northampton, Barronett." Coat of arms in the centre. To Henry Dormer is attributed the work on the tower. V.C.H. Vol. V, Colvin and Pevsner.
Listing NGR: SP6936297257
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings