History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Carlton Curlieu Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Carlton Curlieu, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5674 / 52°34'2"N

Longitude: -0.9752 / 0°58'30"W

OS Eastings: 469556

OS Northings: 297114

OS Grid: SP695971

Mapcode National: GBR BR9.07S

Mapcode Global: WHFKX.ZQSM

Entry Name: Carlton Curlieu Hall

Listing Date: 19 October 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1180165

English Heritage Legacy ID: 191046

Location: Carlton Curlieu, Harborough, Leicestershire, LE8

County: Leicestershire

District: Harborough

Civil Parish: Carlton Curlieu

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Carlton Curlieu and Burton Overy

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Great Glen

Listing Text

CARLTON CURLIEU
Carlton Curlieu Hall
SP 69 NE
3/24
19.10.51
GV II*
Country house. Dated 1636, possibly with earlier origins with alterations
late C17 and c1800. Ashlar with stone dressings and Swithland slate roof with
moulded stone ridge and side stacks. String courses and stone coped Dutch
gables with semicircular finials. Entrance front of 2 1/2 storeys and basement
with 5 gables and windows. On lower 2 storeys stone mullion and transom
windows with moulded eared architraves and mostly leaded lights. The
stonework and window at either end project forward on lower 2 floors and have
blocked 1-lights on ends. On 2nd floor, windows have moulded stone frames and
wooden mullion and transom windows. Central stone 2 storey porch. Rounded
archway with faceted keystone and a Roman Doric column either side. Stone
cartouche of arms over. Door with Tudor arch. 3 semicircular stone
steps. 2-light stone mullion windows in basement, some blocked. 1 storey
extension on left end. Avenue front, to right, has 3 Dutch gables, 3 paired
6/6 sashes on lower 2 floors and a 6/6 sash in each gable. Moulded eared
architraves on lower 2 floors. Blocked window. Rainwater heads here and on
entrance front dated 1871. 1 storey extensions in rear kitchen yard. Inside
are reset C17 panelling, C18 oak and pine panelling, bolection moulded stone
and marble fireplaces, and probably later C17 oak staircase with heavy turned
balusters and ball finials. Gable overlooking kitchen yard is inscribed
"Sep.24, 1636 I.O.T.O." The seat of the Palmer family since the C17. V.C.H.,
Vol. V, and Pevsner.


Listing NGR: SP6955697114

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.