This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.535 / 52°32'5"N
Longitude: -1.0469 / 1°2'48"W
OS Eastings: 464744
OS Northings: 293436
OS Grid: SP647934
Mapcode National: GBR 9Q8.04P
Mapcode Global: VHCT2.SKW2
Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 7 December 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1180219
English Heritage Legacy ID: 191257
Location: Fleckney, Harborough, Leicestershire, LE8
Civil Parish: Fleckney
Built-Up Area: Fleckney
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Fleckney St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SP 69 SW CHURCH STREET (North Side)
1/35 Church of St. Nicholas
Church. Some of the fabric is C.12, and much is later medieval, but
externally most is of 1869, by Kirk. Cobble with limestone dressings and
Welsh slate roofs. Nave with Western bellcote, South aisle and chancel.
West wall is C.13 with central buttress with quoins and small Y traceried
window. Paired bellcote above. Tracery of south aisle which is entirely
of 1869 is squarely cut in Early English style with paired lancets with
quatrefoils. Coped gabled South porch with double chamfered arch on cylindrical
shafts encloses a resited C.12 doorway: 2 rows of chevron decoration, incised
and embossed, outside slim detached cylindrical shafts which support angular
cushion capitals. The arch itself has a double layer of chevron decoration and
a roll moulded order. Coped east gable to steep nave roof. Chancel appears to
be of early C.14. Lancet windows with quatrefoils, and late Decorated east
window: 3 lights of slightly compressed reticulated tracery with outer hoodmould.
Coped east gable. Vestry to north, and newer vestry beyond which encloses a
C.12 north doorway: A double chamfered round headed arch with hood mould
springing from weathered corbel heads. Inside, the church is largely of 1869 in
Early English style. Nave arcade of 3 bays with cylindrical shafts with round
abaci and double chamfered arches with hood moulds. The double chamfered
chancel arch springs from corbels. Steep nave roof has curved principals with
long bracing. Chancel still has medieval double sedilia with simple chamfered
2 centred arches, and a piscina, with Victorian basin in medieval recess.
Victorian wood reredos, and other fittings. Pictorial stained glass in east
window of 1925. Victorian font with tapering basin carrying an inscription and
supported on clustered filletted shafts.
Listing NGR: SP6474493436
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings