This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7031 / 52°42'11"N
Longitude: -2.1686 / 2°10'7"W
OS Eastings: 388702
OS Northings: 311723
OS Grid: SJ887117
Mapcode National: GBR 180.JK6
Mapcode Global: WHBFC.NBJ3
Entry Name: Stretton Hall and Combined Service and Stable Wing
Listing Date: 16 May 1953
Last Amended: 4 July 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1180222
English Heritage Legacy ID: 271585
Location: Lapley, Stretton and Wheaton Aston, South Staffordshire, Staffordshire, ST19
District: South Staffordshire
Civil Parish: Lapley, Stretton and Wheaton A
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Penkridge St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ 81 SE STRETTON C.P. STRETTON.
5/100 Stretton Hall and combined
16.5.53 service and stable wing.
(Previously listed as Stretton Hall)
Country House. 1720s, altered and extended 1860s. Red brick with even
stone quoins and dressings; hipped slate roofs and concealed lead flat.
Provincial Baroque style, massive modelled brick centre stacks on line of
hips. Probably formerly double pile plan; stable and service blocks to
North, originally two storey, second storey added in 1860s, moulded plinth
string on First floor, modillion cornice on second floor, blocking course
parapet with urn finials at angles. Entrance front: 9 bays, glazing bar
sashes; 3 central with Gibbs surrounds and centre window blocked by
inscribed stone plaques; cartouche to centre of second floor; the two
right hand bays have a large 2 storey bay of 1860s with cornice broken
round; central tripartite portico with banded Tuscan columns and strapwork
parapet; main parapet blocking course raised over centre 3 bays. Garden
front: 2 - 3 - 2 bays with centre projection, all similar to entrance front
but with french casement central door to garden in surround similar to
windows and open segmental pediment over coat of arms with side scrolls
to blocking course parapet. Blocked window on North East front has painted
cruciform type window of the type probably originally used. Service wing
returns to entrance front, lower, but in similar style with stone rusticated
surround to South door; remainder of range simpler with steeply pitched roof.
Interior: Central Hall with early C18 staircase in two flights: open string,
with scroll supports and moulding run under entire width of tread; balusters
alternating spiral and Tuscan column with clasped foliage bases; rectangular
handrail, ramped at angles and without curtail scroll; two spiral columns
beneath half landing; head supported by tension chain concealed in adjacent
panelling attached to ceiling; dado panelling to inner side of flight, ramped
at angles; stair hall egg and dart cornice and shallow dome centre to ceiling;
massive fireplace with C17 German bas relief carved panels on breast over
mid C19 tiled hearth. Two early C18 doorways with roll moulded surrounds,
doors formerly double with elaborate brass escutcheons. Library; Early C18
oak panelled; fireplace with shouldered marble surround, bayleaf roll over
and cartouche, giant corinthian pilasters flank breast, repeated to entrance
side; cornice dentilled with bands of egg and dart, cabling and simplified
fret pattern; two eight panelled doors. Drawing room: Mid Cl9 with early
C18 fireplace; pine, shouldered marble surround bordered by a frieze of
scallops, scrolled consoles to jambs and bay leaf roll with scallop centre
and plain mantle.
Listing NGR: SJ8870211723
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings