This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2354 / 51°14'7"N
Longitude: -0.5736 / 0°34'25"W
OS Eastings: 499676
OS Northings: 149432
OS Grid: SU996494
Mapcode National: GBR FCJ.KRK
Mapcode Global: VHFVN.06LS
Entry Name: 72, 74, 76 and 78, High Street
Listing Date: 1 May 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1180242
English Heritage Legacy ID: 288957
Location: Guildford, Surrey, GU1
Electoral Ward/Division: Holy Trinity
Built-Up Area: Guildford
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Guildford Holy Trinity and St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
SU 9949SE GUILDFORD HIGH STREET
8/93 Nos 72, 74, 76 & 78
House, now divided into offices. C13 undercroft below with 1803 house above,
altered in the C2O. Chalk and stone undercroft with brick props, orange/red
brick above with some tile hanging on the right hand return front. Stone-coped
parapet obscuring plain-tiled roof. Three storeys over undercroft; 3 bays with
stacks to left. Regular front with centre bay now blocked. Tripartite sash
windows in outer bays on second and first floors under gauged brick heads, only
those windows on right retaining glazing bars. Stone dressed ground floor with
two office windows to ends, both mullioned and transomed and with triple round-
arched upper lights. Paired doors to left and right of centre under fanlights
and with deep bracketed hoods over. Stone steps with cast iron anthemion pattern
railings in front of No. 72.
Undercroft:- Approx 10 metres by 6 and 3 metres high. Three bays deep with groined
ribbed roof rising from two round piers. Arch corbels carved in grotesques and
human heads. Remains of North stairs from former street level survive when under-
croft was probably used as a shop. The Undercroft is a scheduled Ancient Monument,
Surrey Monument No. 166.
SURREY ARCHAEOLOGICAL COLLECTIONS (OFFPRINT) VOL.LXXIV (1983) SHIRLEY CORKE
MEDIEVAL UNDERCROFTS AND TOWN HOUSES (ARCHAEOLOGICAL JOURNAL 1966) Article by
P. Faulkner p.123.
G. ROSE'S ANTIQUITIES OF SURREY (1772).
GUILDFORD IN OLDEN TIMES. G. C. WILLIAMSON (1904)
BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) p.282.
Listing NGR: SU9968349425
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings