History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Charnwood House

A Grade II Listed Building in Woodhouse, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7197 / 52°43'10"N

Longitude: -1.2125 / 1°12'44"W

OS Eastings: 453289

OS Northings: 313847

OS Grid: SK532138

Mapcode National: GBR 8LD.D99

Mapcode Global: WHDHX.BWVX

Entry Name: Charnwood House

Listing Date: 15 March 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1180265

English Heritage Legacy ID: 189199

Location: Woodhouse, Charnwood, Leicestershire, LE12

County: Leicestershire

District: Charnwood

Civil Parish: Woodhouse

Built-Up Area: Woodhouse Eaves

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Woodhouse Eaves St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Swithland

Listing Text

WOODHOUSE BRAND HILL (East Side)
SK 51 SW
3/143
WOODHOUSE EAVES
Charnwood House
II

Children's Convalescent Home, now Children's Home, of 1900. Red brick with
brick band, wooden cornice, and plain tile hipped roof with massive red
brick stacks. 3 ridge (1 coupled) and end stacks. 2 storeys in Queen
Anne style with mainly 6/6 sash windows and some leaded casements. Gauged
brick lintels to ground floor and stone sills. 2 closely set wings project
to front right. That further to right has semi-circular 1 storey former
porch with leaded half dome roof. Former door blocked with window and further
1-light windows either side. Above in stone band is inscribed'Cooper Memorial
Convalescent Home for Children'. Canted oriel bay over and projecting stack
and 4/4 sash to right. On stack a tablet in stone and cut and moulded brick
inscribed 'Built by Rev. W.H. Cooper of Burleigh Hall, Loughborough, in
memory of his wife Mary Cooper, 1900'. The wing to left has 2 2-light
leaded casements both floors. The wings are joined at 1st floor level by
small C20 infill with similar 2-light: C20 door and window in recessed
section under . To left of wings a similar 4-light casement both floors and
a C20 2 storey wing with flat roof and brick stack projecting forwards. On
right end of main range a central 2 storey projection with hipped roof
and 6-light mullion and transom staircase window with leaded lights.
Similar 4-light casement beneath. 2 6/6 sashes both floors to left and 2-light
dormer above. A 6/6 both floors and a C20 1-light window to right. On roof
ridge a wood and lead octagonal open turret with weathervane. Rear is a
front of 10 mainly 6/6 sashes with part glazed painted stone veranda to left,
2 glazed doors and 2 6/9 sashes within.Balustrated top and glazed over. Canted
right end to veranda of brick with 3 4/4 sashes and door. Tripartite 2/2:
6/6: 2/2 and 2 further sashes to right. On roof to left 3 dormers:2-light,
3-light,2-light, the centre having curved gable. On roof ridge to right a
wood and lead octagonal open turret. C20 1 storey extension on right end.


Listing NGR: SK5328913847

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.