History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Nicholas

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bringhurst, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5208 / 52°31'14"N

Longitude: -0.7616 / 0°45'41"W

OS Eastings: 484127

OS Northings: 292150

OS Grid: SP841921

Mapcode National: GBR CT9.SC9

Mapcode Global: VHDQP.RW8Z

Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas

Listing Date: 7 December 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1180300

English Heritage Legacy ID: 190916

Location: Bringhurst, Harborough, Leicestershire, LE16

County: Leicestershire

District: Harborough

Civil Parish: Bringhurst

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Six Saints circa Holt

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Great Easton

Listing Text

BRINGHURST

SP 8492

13/14 Church of St. Nicholas

7.12.66

GV II*

Church. C12-C15, roof dated 1802, and restored 1862. Coursed rubble stone
with quoins and stone dressings and Collyweston and leaded roof. Stone coped
gables. W tower, nave, aisles, chancel and S porch. Tower of 3 stages with
W diagonal buttresses, W doorway with many moulded arch, flat-topped 2-light
over tiny 1-lights to SW stair, and 4 2-light bell openings. Above is a moulded
string course with central gargoyles, ashlar parapet with crocketted pinnacles
and low pyramid roof with weathercock. Double chamfered round arch to nave.
2 bay Late Norman N arcade with single-stepped arches on circular pier. Richly
decorated capitals to pier and responds, E respond with carved head. 2 bay
S arcade of earlier C13. Slightly pointed single-stepped arches with chamfer
on circular pier and responds. Perp clerestory with a 2-light and a 3-light
window to S and 2 2-lights to N. 3 bay low-pitch tie-beam roof. N aisle
has flat-topped Perp windows. Tablet dated 1707 over N door. C19 double chamfered
chancel arch. Chancel has tall 2-light window to N and S and flat-topped
3-light E window. C19 3 bay hammer-beam roof. S aisle has flat-topped Perp
windows and small S 1-light. Restored piscina. S porch has archway with rounded
single-stepped arch. Single chamfered S doorway. C14 octagonal font. 2
George III Royal Arms, one dated 1814 and double sided. 3 early C19 slate
wall monuments. Nave roof inscribed 'W.W. - T.R. 1802'. Pevsner.


Listing NGR: SP8412792150

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.