This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0378 / 52°2'16"N
Longitude: 0.7295 / 0°43'46"E
OS Eastings: 587306
OS Northings: 241225
OS Grid: TL873412
Mapcode National: GBR QHJ.C6N
Mapcode Global: VHKF9.L1HN
Entry Name: The Anchor Inn
Listing Date: 26 October 1971
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1180424
English Heritage Legacy ID: 276011
Location: Sudbury, Babergh, Suffolk, CO10
Civil Parish: Sudbury
Built-Up Area: Sudbury
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Sudbury St Gregory with Chilton St Peter
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
1. FRIARS STREET
(North West Side)
No 2 (The Anchor Inn)
TL 8741 3/62
One of the old inns of Sudbury (formerly the White Hart) but much altered
internally with little of the original building visible. C16/C17, 2 storey
and attics, roofs tiled and of very steep pitch. Upper storey projects
on part of front with curved brackets. Ground floor front is of brick with
modern public rooms. Upper storey windows, sash with glazing bars and flush
frames. Here the Marian martyr, Dr Rowland Taylor, stayed on his way to
Oldham Common 1555.
Nos 2 to 6 (even) form a group.
Listing NGR: TL8730641225
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings