History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hempnalls Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Cotton, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2668 / 52°16'0"N

Longitude: 1.0478 / 1°2'52"E

OS Eastings: 608064

OS Northings: 267554

OS Grid: TM080675

Mapcode National: GBR TK1.V0G

Mapcode Global: VHL9S.39S4

Entry Name: Hempnalls Hall

Listing Date: 29 July 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1180451

English Heritage Legacy ID: 281611

Location: Cotton, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Cotton

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Cotton

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Cotton

Listing Text

COTTON WILLOW LANE (off)
TM 06 NE
2/26
Hempnalls Hall
29.7.55

GV
II
Manor house. Late C16; small C18 rear wing, replacing an earlier range to the
west which ante-dated the existing main range. Restored 1980's. Timber
framed, mainly plastered, the front with panelled plasterwork of 1980's. Fine
C16 crowstepped red brick gable end to right. Plaintiled roof. 2 storeys and
attic; 1½-storey rear wing. 3 windows, 4-light casements with mid C20 square-
leaded glass. Between the upper windows, 2 original windows with ovolo-
moulded mullions. Central late C18 doorway: reeded architrave with corner
squares (once adorned with masks), broken entablature and open dentilled
pediment enclosing semi-circular fanlight with glazing bars. Old door with 6
fielded panels. 3 gabled dormers. C16 gable end has paired windows at 3
levels, those to the upper floors blocked. Integral stack with 2 detached
octagonal shafts on moulded bases. A further stack to rear has oblong base
and 3 square shafts set diamondwise. Left gable end is of later date, the
house probably once extending further: ground floor has brickwork of c.1700
and an original ovolo doorframe, re-positioned from elsewhere. Interior. 2
fine stone fireplaces have moulded 4-centred arches and shield-carved
spandrels; fireplace in parlour has one shield inscribed 'EC' (for Elizabeth
Clare) and dated 1636. A stuccoed attic fireplace. An elaborately-carved
Flemish fireplace in an upper room was inserted in 1980's. One ovolo service
doorway, a blocked front cross-entry doorway and an upper doorway to the
earlier wing (now lost). Much original or early C17 internal panelling was
removed in early C20; a little remains. One bay of hall ceiling removed to
accommodate a 1980's well stair. Roof has 2 rows of butt purlins.
Surrounding medieval moat.


Listing NGR: TM0806467554

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.