This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6064 / 51°36'23"N
Longitude: -1.0159 / 1°0'57"W
OS Eastings: 468246
OS Northings: 190188
OS Grid: SU682901
Mapcode National: GBR B2J.7YV
Mapcode Global: VHDW0.BWSD
Entry Name: Church of St Botolph
Listing Date: 9 February 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1180499
English Heritage Legacy ID: 247553
Location: Swyncombe, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, RG9
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Swyncombe
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Swyncombe
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
2/82 Church of St. Botolph
Church. Late C11, restored in 1831 and by Ferrey in 1850. Flint coursed rubble
with herringbone work and limestone ashlar dressings. Gabled old tile roof. Nave
with apsidal chancel. East end has 2 lancets by Ferrey in imitation of Norman
lancet to north. South wall of nave has early C14 two-light window, Early
English lancet west of Norman blocked round arch: 2 lancets and gabled south
porch by Ferrey to C19 plank door with C19 bellcote over. North wall has lancets
by Ferrey and C11 round-headed blocked doorway with stone jambs and-hogback
lintel. Early C14 carved stone bellcote over west lancet window by Ferrey.
Interior: round-headed arch to apse where wall painted decoration was executed
after the original uncovered in 1850. Chancel has C19 benches and ceiling and
medieval tiles reset in floor. Chancel arch widened in 1831: rood screen and
loft carved in C15 style by Walter Topper, 1914. Nave has mid Cl9 pulpit,
benches and ceiling; C19 wall tablets; Norman font recut in mid C19 with mid C19
cover. Beneath west window are the early C14 "Jesus" bell, and fragments of
Norman pillar piscina with capital carved with head and leaf scrolls. Candelabra
in nave removed from Syncombe House (demolished).
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.801).
Listing NGR: SU6824690188
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings