This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2619 / 51°15'42"N
Longitude: -2.1823 / 2°10'56"W
OS Eastings: 387375
OS Northings: 151430
OS Grid: ST873514
Mapcode National: GBR 1TF.T80
Mapcode Global: VH979.4J5Z
Entry Name: Parish Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 29 December 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1180510
English Heritage Legacy ID: 313093
Location: Westbury, Wiltshire, BA13
Civil Parish: Westbury
Built-Up Area: Westbury (Wiltshire)
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Westbury
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 8751 SW 4/15
Parish Church of All Saints
The grade shall be amended to read grade I.
ST 8751 SW 4/15 29.12.50. Parish Church of All Saints
Probably circa 1437 [of similarity of mouldings in North aisle chantry chapel
of that date to those of rest of Church VCH]. Renewed, restored 1847 and
recently stabilized. Ashlar built, re-using earlier masonry in parts. Large
cruciform Church with rectangular central tower and short, low transepts.
Embattled and clerestoried nave of 4 bays. South and West porches. Small
vestry between South porch and transept (1847). 2 stage crenellated tower
with octagonal stair turret to North-East. Steep pitched chancel roof with
stone tiles. West front has small porch, panelled and vaulted and with seats;
dividing buttresses to wall and embattled verges; West window of elaborate
perpendicular style tracery (1847, T.M. Wyatt) . Fragments of corbels and
a large face (possibly from a Rood; locally said to represent King Alfred)
over South transept window. 2 storey South porch with handsome vault, partly
cusped and with Tudor emblems in cells; above entrance is sundial dated 1821.
Pointed doorway. Except for the clerestory, the 7 light thrice transomed
East window and the North chapel windows, the tracery is in transitional Decorated
- Perpendicular style. Inside the tall pointed arcade has clustered piers
and the upper walls buttressed by arches over aisles. In the South transept
is a tall columned monument to Sir James Ley aisles. and his wife and a
good bust of William Phipps (Governor of Bombay d. 1747) by Sir Robert Taylor.
The North chancel chapel has good commemorative plaques of the C18 and early
C19. The Church is set in an enclosed churchyard and except for the tower
is hidden from surrounding streets. The effect of space in the churchyard
is greatly increased by the gardens of Westbury House, Edward Street, to the
South-West and of the Vicarage to the North-East, both of which have some the
fine trees. A number of good C18 altar tombs in churchyard.
Listing NGR: ST8737651436
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings