This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.285 / 52°17'6"N
Longitude: 0.6734 / 0°40'24"E
OS Eastings: 582449
OS Northings: 268576
OS Grid: TL824685
Mapcode National: GBR QDC.P2Y
Mapcode Global: VHJGG.MTCN
Entry Name: Church of St John Lateran
Listing Date: 14 July 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1180513
English Heritage Legacy ID: 283753
Location: Hengrave, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP28
District: St. Edmundsbury
Civil Parish: Hengrave
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Flempton St Catherine of Alexandria
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TL 86 NW HENGRAVE
4/46 Church of St. John Lateran
Formerly the parish church, now chapel to Hengrave Hall Conference Centre.
Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch, north aisle and chapel. Flint walling
with limestone dressings, low-pitched metal-finished roofs. Circular tower in
coursed flint, possibly pre-Conquest; clock, with hour-hand only, in west face.
Round-headed north and south belfry openings. Chancel has late C13 windows, 3-
light in eastwall, 2 2-light in south wall. Alterations for Sir Thos.
Hemegrave (died 1419) include: south porch, restored C19 in knapped flint with
flushwork, with labelled arched doorway, south nave doorway similar but more
ornate with angel finials, tall tower arch. Early C16 alterations for Sir
Thos. Kitson (died 1540) include: north aisle and chapel with large 3-light
windows, raising of nave walls with flushwork parapets, insertion of 2 large
south windows, north arcade with clustered columns and small clerestory windows
above, arch-braced cambered tie-beam roofs throughout (renewed/heavily restored
late C19). A segmental brick rood-stair turret in south wall perhaps C15. South
door C15, plain. Octagonal traceried C15 font. Late C13 wall paintings of
S.S. Catherine and Margaret on south chancel window reveal. Early C15 painted
inscription above south door in porch. Some fragments of C16 glass in aisle
windows. Canopied monument to Margaret, Countess of Bath, with her husband,
John Bourchier, beside her, and below her first husband Sir Thos. Kitson of
Hengrave Hall. An alabaster mural monument to Lord Darcy, also in the chapel.
In the chancel is a table tomb to John Bourchier, 1556, who was Lord
Fitzwarren. Also a magnificent tomb of Sir Thos. Kitson, son of the above,
with effigies of himself, his two wives, Jane Pagett and Elizabeth Cornwallis.
A bust commemorates Sir Thos. Gage who lived at the Hall, died 1741. The
monuments have much original colour and almost fill the chancel and chapel. For
details of church and monuments, John Gage, History of Suffolk, Thingoe
Listing NGR: TL8244968576
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings