This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4947 / 51°29'40"N
Longitude: -1.0516 / 1°3'5"W
OS Eastings: 465933
OS Northings: 177732
OS Grid: SU659777
Mapcode National: GBR B3T.BXR
Mapcode Global: VHCZ3.QPDJ
Entry Name: Hardwick House
Listing Date: 24 October 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1180567
English Heritage Legacy ID: 247421
Location: Whitchurch-on-Thames, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, RG8
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Whitchurch-on-Thames
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Whitchurch
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
9/203 Hardwick House
Country House. Probably early C16; wing of mid C17, with C18, C19 and C20
alterations. Flint base; red brick; plain tile roof; brick stacks. Complex plan.
Tudor style. 2 storeys and attic; 8-window range. Central part-glazed studded
C19 door with stone surround with 4-centred arch, trefoil carving to spandrels
and hood mould. Irregular fenestration, mostly stone mullioned windows; stone
cross-windows to mid C17 cross-wing to left; C19 angled 2-storey bay window to
right. Cross-gables to attic with mullioned windows. Complex roof. Diagonally
set stacks to centre and right. Rectangular stacks with panelled sides to left.
Left hand return: 2 storeys and attic; 4-window range. Stone cross windows with
hood moulds to all openings. Flat brick bands between ground and first floor,
and first floor and attic. 3 cross-gables to attic, with 2-light stone mullion
window to each, with blind round panel above. C18 tower to rear with oval
windows and ogee lead dome. Interior: Dining room, ground floor left has rococo
plasterwork of c.1750. C19 open well Tudor-style staircase. Room to first floor
right late C16. Plaster ceiling with pendant bosses and portrait heads in
medallions of Joshua, Julius Caesar, Fame and Elizabeth 1st (?). Frieze with
strapwork decoration. Panelled walls with blind arcading and pilasters.
Fireplace of chalk; overmantel panel depicts the sacrifice of Isaac. History:
House probably built by Richard Lybbe, who purchased the Manor from the Hardwick
family in 1526. South wing rebuilt c.1660 to replace part of the house damaged
by bombardment by Cromwell's troops during the Civil War. Large late C19
additions, recently demolished.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.839-840).
Listing NGR: SU6593377732
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings