History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Blaize House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Lavenham, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1067 / 52°6'24"N

Longitude: 0.7953 / 0°47'43"E

OS Eastings: 591526

OS Northings: 249062

OS Grid: TL915490

Mapcode National: GBR RHZ.XKD

Mapcode Global: VHKDY.Q9TT

Entry Name: Blaize House

Listing Date: 23 January 1958

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1180575

English Heritage Legacy ID: 276665

Location: Lavenham, Babergh, Suffolk, CO10

County: Suffolk

District: Babergh

Civil Parish: Lavenham

Built-Up Area: Lavenham

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Lavenham St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Lavenham

Listing Text

LAVENHAM CHURCH STREET
1.
5377
(south-east side)
Nos 11 and 12
(Blaize House)
TL 9149 50/518 23.1.58
II* GV
2.
Now one tenement. A C15-C16 timber-framed and plastered building.
Restored with exposed timber-framing on the front. Roof tiled. Nos
11 to 14 (consec) were once known as the Weaving Houses, where a master
clothier lived and had his looms. The upper storey formerly had pargetted
emblems of the wool trade, the mitre, fleur-de-lys and the spur-rowels.
At the end of the C18 the buildings were used as a school. Two storeys.
The upper storey is jettied on the whole front on exposed joists and
curved brackets with moulded capitals and shafts. Three window range
of leaded casements (restored). On the upper storey there is a restored
mullioned window with Gothic arched lights. The doorway has a Tudor
arched head with carved spandrels and there is an oriel bay on the ground
storey with a moulded and embattled sill. There are gabled wings at
the rear. The interior retains the screen passage of the original open
hall and there is a fine crown post roof.


Listing NGR: TL9152649062

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.